Kenworth, Peterbilt Predict Higher Sales

kscarbel2

Transport Topics / March 27, 2014

The two North American truck makers of Paccar Inc. showed off their improvements in fuel efficiency and driver information technology, and predicted improving Class 8 sales this year.

Kenworth Trucks and Peterbilt Motors executives expect 2014 U.S. and Canadian heavy-duty sales of 210,000 to 240,000 vehicles, up from about 212,000 in 2013.

Robert Woodall, Peterbilt’s director of sales and marketing, said current conditions point toward the top half of the range, or more than 220,000 units.

In separate interviews, Preston Feight, who has the same job with Kenworth, and Woodall said the long-beleaguered construction industry has bounced back, boosting sales of dump trucks and cement mixers.

Kenworth had a T680 Advantage package on display and Peterbilt’s effort is called Epiq for its Model 579.

Both highway tractors feature optimized aerodynamics and harmonized drivetrains with Eaton Corp. automated manual transmissions designed specifically for the Paccar MX-13 engine.

The two OEMs also unveiled driver-coaching systems in the dashboards that evaluate driving performance in real time, letting vehicle operators know about coasting, braking and accelerating, praising skilled operation and suggesting improvement when needed.

I was just reading today too, that Freightliner had gained another 4% market share last year and was hoping to build on that success.

that doesn't supreme me . Today I saw 7 cascadias in a row all different companies too. Its crazy ive never seen a truck dominate like the cascades. Maybe in the 50s Mack b models dominated trucking like the cascadia ? When I was younger there wad way more variety of trucks.