Need some advice regarding what size shop I should think about in order to be able to work on trucks. I am just trying to figure out how big a place I would need to be able to safely and efficiently work on trucks. Probably will start with just one, but reading through other posts on the site,it appears there is some sort of disease that causes the need for more trucks to be aquired.

Would love to hear any thoughts and recomendations. Also regarding tools required.

Thanks for any info

Need some advice regarding what size shop I should think about in order to be able to work on trucks. I am just trying to figure out how big a place I would need to be able to safely and efficiently work on trucks. Probably will start with just one, but reading through other posts on the site,it appears there is some sort of disease that causes the need for more trucks to be aquired.

Would love to hear any thoughts and recomendations. Also regarding tools required.

Thanks for any info

It doesn't matter how big you build it, it won't be big enough! That being said, I have in my "fleet" a '64 B Model, a '70 F Model, a '79 class C motorhome, a Kawasaki Mule, a Kubota lawn tractor, a pickup truck, a Crown Vic, and a Cougar. My intention is to put up a 35' or so by 70' or so with two bays, office, rec area, bathrooms, and parts/tool storage running parallel to the two bays. Only the two Macks and motorhome will be regularly housed in the building, the pickup and Cougar go in the attached garage and I would like to build a 2nd 4 bay garage, possibly with a guest quarters above, for remaining vehicles, and the rest of my misc lawn & yard equipment.

My thought on tools is to start by finding an older mechanic who is ready to retire and purchase his tool box. I say older ready to retire, because mechanic's almost never get rid of a tool, just move it down a drawer and to the back as they use it less. A large air compressor, tire irons, porta-power, press, the list just goes on and on.... large floor jacks and jack stands.........

Don't build or buy over your budget, but don't go so small that you are falling over yourself, I just had the Crown Vic at my buddys house last night working on it and 12 or so years ago when he & his wife bought their place it was perfect, 2 car garage room for his '66 LeMans project & Dawn's car, and he could still work on the LeMans. Well the LeMans has been sitting in one of my barns for 7 years now and except when being repaired none of the 4 vehicles that Dawn has had in 12 years has spent a night in the garage. A few race cars have spent weeks in there, a few others have been in there for engine swaps, etc. Try your best to plan ahead, although no one I know can see into the future......

T.

Build the building as LARGE as you can afford now. Square footage is the main thing, as all the add-ons can come later(floor, ceilings, power, heat, etc). Make sure you get it built tall enough to fit anything you happen to get. Big trucks and 10ft doors don't match(ask me how I know this).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It's true - no matter what the size the shop - it will be too small sometime.

So the building budget is probably the number one concern.

A 12' wide bay is a pretty good width for one vehicle. A 40' width gives you three wide pretty well.

Length is minimal at 40', and the longer the better. Especially if you want to put a trailer inside.

We have a 40' x 78' area, and we can comfortably work on four large road tractors with

plenty of "elbow room". Or we can back a trailer inside in the center for loading/unloading or servicing.

There is a single 12' x 16' high overhead door for access. It's fine for a hobby shop.

I would consider the height as very important.

Shortly after we moved into the shop we now have, we had the opportunity to

get a brand new four post bridge crane. Luckily we had the required 20' ceiling height.

Everthing inside is now moved with the crane and a forklift. And we're real spoiled.

So consider how you are going to move the pieces you need to move.

Everything on these trucks is heavy. Moving parts and big pieces conveniently makes the

job a lot more pleasant.

You might also consider what you are going to do in the building - painting, welding, running engines, etc.,

and account for the special conditions as best you can.

The air gets pretty thick quick when firing up one of these old diesels. Venting should also be a concern.

We don't have any, and I sure do wish we did.

If I were to design and build a smaller shop for one truck at a time, I would think about something between

28' and 32' wide and a 16' eave height, at least. 40' would be the length, if space allowed.

Then I would put open side "lean-to" sheds along each side of the building, to help with the too tall look,

and to gain the covered storage space outside. The lean-to's could have a 10' eave height and about a 12' width,

which would allow most B model size trucks to park under. Certainly would allow any car, pick-up or tractor

to be stored there. And great firewood storage. And boat storage etc, etc.

Just some ideas - Good Luck with your project.

Paul Van Scott

My shop is 30 by 40 and it would have been better if it was 40 by 50 even 30 by 50 would have been great but a 30 by 40 is real big enough for one truck and i can use mu fork lift which is a 8500 lb and go in from the side of some trucks to pull the engine or from the front on some but 40 ft is not long enough to put a motor home that is almost 40 ft and hvae room to work on it. My top clearance is 36-6 and you would not want any lower.I have two 8ft slideing doors on the front so that makes it where you can get inside to the sides of the shop pretty easy. I put a used oil heater in and i stay warm. Did not use mush this year we had mild winter and i am retired.

glenn akers

Thanks to all you guys. I was thinking along the same lines, but now I will be sure to check the size of the doors. I have a pretty good start on tools but will have to beef up with the Big Boy Impact wrenches, etc

Hope to catch up with some of you at the shows or something