46000 rearend question again

Glensts

Well I went to look at a 97 CH 613 again and it was supposed to be identical to the ones I own. Looked the same, 427 engine, 18 spd mack trans, Mack diff's but he said they were 46000 diff's. So are my trucks, but

I have 6 big bolts holding the axle onto the hub but this one had 8 smaller bolts holding the axle.

My axle flanges are the same size as the rim hub hole, the other truck seemed like it tapered down to the axle end flange and had the 8 - 1/2 inch bolts.

So would it be 44000? or 38000?. The diff's looked big but I don't know how to tell them apart. I looked up some images on Truckpaper and it seemed like some had 6 and some had 8 bolts.

Any help here? It comes up in a farm auction and I don't want 38000 diff's for pulling super b's.

serial #

Went to my dealer today and with a bit of help from the parts guy, who wasn't too busy, we were able to find out that the top half of the diff. (carrier?) and the bottom housing, have the same part numbers as my own 1997 truck. It also has the same gear ratio as one of my trucks, think it was 4.42 but can't remember, my other truck has a higher number.

So I'm concluding that it must be the same rearends, just a different axle for the 8 bolt hub,

Would I be right in my thinking?

I can't imagine that a 38000 diff would have same carrier as a 46000

On the machine pad where the gear ratio is stamped, there will be a carrier number such as CRDPC92 (front) and CRD93 (rear).

These are numbers from the 1980's. Don't have newer numbers, maybe the same?

That will let you compare between the carriers you are looking at.

Back in the 80's, depending how the truck was built, you could have the same carrier in a 38 as well as a 44.

The axle housings were different but the carriers were same.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Went for a drive to go see one of my Uncle's 97 Macks, He has probably owned over 20 Macks in his time, it has Mack 40,000 diff's. The top carrier has the same number stamped on top as my 46's, Everything looks the same except it has 8 bolts to hold the axle in, similar to the one I'm thinking of purchasing.

The only think I could find different was the piece on the side of the frame, with the plastic wear plate for the big leaf spring. Mine are solid and his were cutout in the center and you could see the bolt that came through to bolt the plastic wear plate.

Front and Rear Carriers are all the same on both trucks, just a plate to block off the rear hole on the rear diff.

My uncle's thoughts were, " a 40,000 Mack diff is way better than an Eaton any day"

I will keep trying to get it figured out for sure.

He has a 2001 CH as well and it also has 40000 diff's. They looked identical to the 97's, with the same numbers on top of the carrier.

Edited by Glensts