Mack Unveils New Brand Program

kscarbel2

Transport Topics / March 5, 2014

LAS VEGAS — Mack Trucks Inc. has unveiled a new brand identity program that includes a sleeker, more modern bulldog, a stronger font for the Mack name and a new tag line.

The rebranding is the leading element of a program designed to reinforce the company’s history and capabilities, company officials said during an event at the 2014 Conexpo-Con/Agg event here March 4.

“The updated expression of the brand sends a strong message about the significant changes in the Mack Trucks organization, its products and customer support solutions,”, the company said in a release.

“We’re extremely proud of our 114-year legacy as the American truck you can count on,” Stephen Roy, president of North American sales and marketing, said at the event. “We believe the refresh of our brand embodies what we’ve stood for in the past and continue to stand for today.”

John Walsh, vice president of marketing, noted that Mack has made major investments in its production facilities in recent years. The company spent $64 million since 2010 in its Hagerstown, Md., plant that produces Mack engines and transmissions. In addition, the company said it has spent about $20 million over the same period in the Macungie, Pa., plant where it builds Mack trucks and $10 million in its technical center in Greensboro, N.C.

“We’ve got a very solid foundation,” Walsh said. “It’s time we told our story in a way that captures the essence of the brand as well as the things happening with Mack today. That’s really what the new work we’re debuting today is all about.”

I find it interesting that Ford, Chevrolet, and many other Fortune 500 companies don't feel the need to "re-brand" themselves every few years the way Mack seems to be doing now. Maybe a little more concern about what carries the "brand" and less concern about the image is in order.

Note this guy Roy's title PRESIDENT of Sales and Marketing. To me this says a lot about the Mack organization. Usually, sales and marketing is a key business unit that reports to a president. And typically this guy would have the title of VP or Senior VP or Executive VP. likewise there would be similar titles for the other functions that report to the President-like Engineering, Manufacturing, etc.

Just a wild guess but I read this as Engineering, Product Development etc will be top down from "mother Volvo.

And another point-this guy Roy is NOT a nuts and bolts truck guy-as I gather from KSC's posts.. If you asked him what a Unishift, "6-71", "220" or "534" was you would get a blank stare. A guy like this tends to concentrate in his "comfort zone"-don't bother me with technical stuff. Hmnn -kind of like the guy in the White House? -Great at "community organizing and entertaining the Hollywood crowd"-getting in the trench? No way.

• Like 1