E-7 rebuild, now smokes... Help!

96bulldogpower

Ok guys so now we have a 1996 Mack CH-613 with a e-7 (electronic injection pump) in the shop... It rolled in with a spun rod bearing and destroyed the crank and rod. We pulled the engine and installed a complete PAI rebuild kit, everything is new with the only exception of the oil pump, that checked out good. Basically we bolted everything back up, we set valve lash and retimed the injection pump to 7 degrees and fired it up.... The engine idled very rough and we let it run for about an hour, we then removed and cleaned the econovance valve which fixed the rough idle but it still smokes gray slightly. The valve cover calls for 5 degrees pump timing but could setting it to 7 degrees really cause the gray smoke? Also if you accelerate the engine it sounds rough and shakes until it comes up to speed. What do y'all recommend?! I'm stumped.

change timing to 5 degrees make sure that all back lash is out of the gear train back eng up at least 1/4 rev on crank and re pull in direction of rotation and check final timing. I haven't played with any electronic macks so I cant tell you how to check the advance or if it controlled mechanically. may be the next guy can.

Sounds like its not advancing the timing have seen the timing advance unit fail ecu and engine postion sensor can all cause this issue.

I did suspect the econovance to be an issue, that's why I took it off and cleaned it and removed the screens... It did idle better but the small amount of smoke remains... I will tell you that when the truck received the new engine I had to install a used ecu on it because the old one maded the engine run terrible and idled around 450rpm. Once I installed the new (used) ecu we had laying around in the shop the truck ran way better. However we still had a little smoke and upon revving the engine it tends to accelerate rough until it comes up to speed... I have already changed the engine position sensor on the governor of the injection pump with no effect. Could I have a bad econovance valve?! This thing is driving me crazy at this point. :(

Need the codes , turn the ignition key on with the cruise on/off switch in the off position press hold the resume/accel switch until the fault lamp goes off it will begin to flash a two digit blink code . count the on flashes and get back with us.

Ahhhh awesome. Well I did find out that I had low fluid in the system, thanks staxx. We finally got around to returning the timing to 5 degrees... NO MORE SMOKE!! It idles so smooth now and revs easy. I would like to thank everyone on this great forum for the help. The reason I feel the engine is sluggish is because I'm running a used ecm tuned for only 300 horsepower. The truck was originally a 350HP. But other than that all is good! Thanks staxx for adding me a new skill on troubleshooting Mack trucks!