Convert Thermodyne to maxidyne

Joe1091

This question is a blast from the past. The Maxidyne head gasket used fire rings. So (if I recall correctly), you would have to cut grooves into the surface of your Thermodyne heads to accept the proper Maxidyne head gaskets.

And as others have pointed out below, Maxidyne engines used shot-peened connecting rods.

A 673C might already be fire-ringed. I've heard they were, anyway.

And, the C has the extra head studs, like a Maxi. Know that piece for a fact.

Seems like we discuss this every so often, but I'm not sure it is ever 100 percent nailed down. Seems like a good candidate for the wiki...

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The rods also, years back it was done around here, the rods had to be machined for the crank, change pistons, cam, injectors, cut heads, pump update, the cooled piston blocks

were scarce. All said there were crank problems and the flywheel housing cracked and loosen up. Best to find a 237.

FW

• Like 1

The rods also, years back it was done around here, the rods had to be machined for the crank, change pistons, cam, injectors, cut heads, pump update, the cooled piston blocks

were scarce. All said there were crank problems and the flywheel housing cracked and loosen up. Best to find a 237.

FW

Yep. Best way to get a 237 is to just get a 237! I knew there were differences, but didn't know how many! I have a sneaking suspiscion that some of the "converted" motors were just about half-converted.

A 237 is one of the most common motors out there. Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

'Course, I'm still kinda fond of my 250-horse 673C. No, it doesn't have the low-end of the 237, but does have pretty good power up in the sweet spot.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."