Aussie Mack Lineup

In looking at the Mack cavalcade in Australia it looks like the superliner and trident are the same truck. It looks like they can have the Mack logo in the middle of the grill or the top of the grill. Both have round tanks. The Titan has ugly square tanks but probably higher capacity. Also shown is a granite with a sleeper. They are bringing the Titan over to the US. I wonder if the Trident or Superliner will follow.

Before the new site Mack Australia had a big selection of trucks availible. The raised cab heavy duty trucks were the Titan, Superliner, and Trident. The Titan is super heavy duty for tripple road trains and hauling up to 220 imperial tons with big CAT and Cummins engines. The Superliner was a toned down version for B double work and lighter road train work and also had CAT and Cummins power. The Trident had the same raised cab but had a shorter hood and was only powered by Mack E7 engines. They are all heavy duty long distance trucks made to take the high heat of the Australian outback and still cool the big engines pulling heavy loads.

Oh and I bet the Metroliner will also make an appearance as a Mack class 6/7/8 truck to let them compete on the high end with Kenworth's T300 and Peterbilt's 335/340.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Here are some photos from the Cavalcade Tour! Premonition to our new Mack?

My sales guys said that the first picture below is what your new Titan will look like! (Daycab only...for now) Some minor differences, but that is basically it...

post-2-1204721333_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721347_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721358_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721371_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721385_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721400_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721441_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721452_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721467_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721486_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721500_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204721523_thumb.jpg

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Before the new site Mack Australia had a big selection of trucks availible. The raised cab heavy duty trucks were the Titan, Superliner, and Trident. The Titan is super heavy duty for tripple road trains and hauling up to 220 imperial tons with big CAT and Cummins engines. The Superliner was a toned down version for B double work and lighter road train work and also had CAT and Cummins power. The Trident had the same raised cab but had a shorter hood and was only powered by Mack E7 engines. They are all heavy duty long distance trucks made to take the high heat of the Australian outback and still cool the big engines pulling heavy loads.

Oh and I bet the Metroliner will also make an appearance as a Mack class 6/7/8 truck to let them compete on the high end with Kenworth's T300 and Peterbilt's 335/340.

just to clarify things a little, as someone who works on these Titans and Superliners, the only real difference apart from cosmetics and price tag, is the GVM. The Titan is available to be specced up to 240 tonne GVM, where the Superliner is up to 180 Tonne GVM. Basically its all in the chassis rails used. One of my customers has one of each, both triple rated, both rated at 180 tonne GVM, and both with 550 hp Signatures, both with Maxitorque 18 speeds and same rear ends. Cab interiors are near identical, and both have the same 42" integrated sleepers. The chassis rails in the Titan are much heavier though, therefore pushing up tare weight. Nearly 800 kg difference between both trucks. So obviously the Titan gets the dirt road, rough as guts work, although the Superliner used to do it. And not too many Superliners I know of get used on Bdouble work as they are too long, and therefore the trailer length has to be sacrificed to stay inside the 25 metre rule. More the domain of your Trident, or more commonly K104 Kenworth, purpose built here for the B double market.

I still think the "new" Titan is ugly as sin though!!!

Edited by AusChris

So far, what I've learned is that Australia's Superliner is going to be our Titan. But they do look really similar! Thanks for the clarification Chris!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Sharp looking trucks,could someone explain the high air intakes is it just for looks or is there a reason for them being so high.

There are many unpaved dirt roads in Australia's Outback so keeping the air intake up high keeps out dust and dirt. It also takes in the cooler air from up high when the ground temperatures are something like 130F+

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

OK thanks, I was thinking it had something to do with dusty work.

Yep, pretty much the dust and heat factor forced the air intakes upwards. The ram effect of putting the intakes up into cooler undisturbed air is also a plus. But another interesting innovation to come along in the past 10 years or so, is the use of pre-cleaners half way down the intake pipe. These help eliminate the solids out of the incoming air, thereby extending the service life of the air filters.

So far, what I've learned is that Australia's Superliner is going to be our Titan. But they do look really similar! Thanks for the clarification Chris!

Bit of a let down for you guys, but still a classy truck to be heading your way. Bit of irony is that the last model superliner basically shared the bonnet design with the Titan, and now the Titan has gone all round and aero on us! (still looks wimpy). Will be interesting to see if the "turd herders" (stock crates/ livestock carriers) are able to spec their Titans with round tanks still. Can't imagine those boys wanting square tanks that reduce ground clearance/ escape clearance for the dirt tracks they run up and down on the big cattle properties, as well as the suicidal wildlife that inevitably wants to take a close look at the underneath of trucks. A big 6 foot plus 'roo at around 300 plus pounds will take out fuel cross over lines and brackets as he passes underneath when round tanks are fitted. Those square ones are just creating problems there.

• 2 months later...
just to clarify things a little, as someone who works on these Titans and Superliners, the only real difference apart from cosmetics and price tag, is the GVM. The Titan is available to be specced up to 240 tonne GVM, where the Superliner is up to 180 Tonne GVM. Basically its all in the chassis rails used. One of my customers has one of each, both triple rated, both rated at 180 tonne GVM, and both with 550 hp Signatures, both with Maxitorque 18 speeds and same rear ends. Cab interiors are near identical, and both have the same 42" integrated sleepers. The chassis rails in the Titan are much heavier though, therefore pushing up tare weight. Nearly 800 kg difference between both trucks. So obviously the Titan gets the dirt road, rough as guts work, although the Superliner used to do it. And not too many Superliners I know of get used on Bdouble work as they are too long, and therefore the trailer length has to be sacrificed to stay inside the 25 metre rule. More the domain of your Trident, or more commonly K104 Kenworth, purpose built here for the B double market.

I still think the "new" Titan is ugly as sin though!!!

G'day,

just wandering, Chris, what is the difference between the new granite and trident?

I asked Mack but got no answer months ago.....and I was even looking at buying one!

I had a CH pulling a semi tipper, now driving an auto volvo as an employee, getting the urge to buy another truck.....well, if only I could afford the diesel.....hmmm.

look forward to knowing what makes these models different.

Tony.