Jake From 237 To E-6 315

MACKS

Will a jake brake from a 237 fit and work on a 315 hp motor, the 315 has a dynatard on it now but it neaver worked worth a darn,I have a complete jake brake setup and would like to swap it out.
It should have a 675 model on both engines if they are a 2valve and the jake may not work much better than the dynatard because the mack engine is not dealing with alot of cubit inches to start with like some cats or cummins. Some times a jake brake gets a bad rap to start with, it is not to be used to take place of the service brakes and i think some times people foget that it is only to be used on a long grade to keep from having to use the service brakes untill realy needed. I know on my truck i catch my self wanting to use it at ever stop but it is not desigined for that. glenn

glenn akers

Digging through the mists of my memory, as glenn has said if they are both 2 valve heads and the model numbers match, should be a fit. However, in my experience, a properly adjusted dynatard works better than a jake. While the principle of operation is the same, Mack has done a bit more R&D on their gear and got the valve timing better. The biggest problem with both jake and dynatard systems is leakage. Those poor little o rings and seals cop an awful time in there and after a while go hard, split and leak, which dampens the operation. Put a seal kit through your dynatard units, not that expensive, and may give you a surprise. And just a quick thought on why Cummins jakes work better, they use cam actuated injectors, and the injector rocker arm activates the jake units for each cylinder, so the valve timing is much better. The older mechanical 3406 Cats however, as Glenn said work the same as a Mack, just more cubes. Chris.

Edited by AusChris

Thanks for replys,does mack make a rebuild kit for the dynatard brake,I might give that a try fi

If it's got a bulldog emblem or a Mack part number, they have the parts for it. I know Mack dealers in Australia do have dynatard seal kits.