2001 E7 No Start

Coffeyrd

Truck always started right away. Starter was bad so we changed it. While doing that, I hit the ecm with the wrench contacting the hot lead off the starter and got a nice spark off the ecm housing. It was cold and getting dark so I had another guy connecting the batteries while I connected the starter. Anyway, now the truck cranks but won't fire. We had it plugged in and a torpedo heater going and got everything nice and warm but nothing. Checked all the fuses and they are ok. Fires off of ether but that is it. Cracked the lines on the head and had fuel from all 6 lines but still nothing. Not even a puff of smoke. Could it be something got shorted in the ecm so the eup's aren't getting a signal to fire? What does it cost to have these things repaired or do you just find a used one. Thanks in advance!

if you have another unit, that is close in specs. you can just plug that ecm in to your wiring harness to see if it fires then. then you will know if your shorted your ecm out. i wouldnt run with the temp ecm, because it could cause damage if the parameters are not set rite. but you can at least see if that is the issue. or your local mack dealer may have one you can borrow just to see if this is the case..

Jumped the ground breaker and still nothing. Had a guy come out with an Eaton portable scanner and it would not pickup anything and when he tried to reboot it with it plugged in, the screen would go black. Because of that he figured the ecm on the side of the engine was fried. Question: Would a new ecm from Mack be ready to go or do they need the actual truck in their possession to program it?

Make sure you hooked the engine harness positive wire back up after changing the starter , it hangs on the main engine harness rite below the intake manifold and very easy to miss. Also make sure all the block grounds are hooked up and tight . Also inside the cab to the left of your fuse panel make sure your power relays 1,2,3 have power coming in and out.

Thanks, I'll check those relays. I have no other ecm to try and all the wires are hooked up. I found a place I can get my ecm rebuilt and won't have to bring it to Mack for a re-flash. Thanks for all the ideas, I'll let you all know what happens.

Had the same issue with my truck a month back...same symptons...I was without work for a month ...ended up being the ecm...pickup up a used one for 800 bucks after I plugged it in and fired right up...lik3 the guys said...source out an ecm from a buddy and try it..even if it dont have the same power ratin it should start ...then you can go off from there....also make sure you unplug batteries when dealin with the ecm...

• 4 weeks later...

Fixed! Had a guy come out and hook up a scanner. He couldn't get anything. When he tried to reboot the scanner with it plugged in the screen would go black. Sent it to a place in Texas and they said it was fine. Told them the scanner story and they rechecked the ecm and said that indeed it was fried. It cost 8 or 900 bucks to have repaired. Stuck it in the truck and she fired right up and runs great!