Welcome to the family!

tkobes43

I wasn't being a Dick yet. But the night is still young.

From my angle it came off as you where... My apologies if you wherent.

Congrats Tom on your Find . Nice looking IH Transtar II There bud .

There was a set of 5 brothers who used to log here in my neck of the woods (no pun intended) They used to work w/ my grandfather & his crew a lot as pop cleared a lot of land for Right aways on roads, Land for subdivisions, malls ,etc.

They ran IH Transtar II & IH 9670'S tandem tractors W/ 400 Cummins , 9spd road rangers & Walking Beams & straight pipes .

All Drove the 3 IH Trucks they had but the oldest Brother was 6'2" & every bit of 500 pounds . He was 1 of the fellas that taught me a lot about trucks & how to drive & he & his brothers were strictly Cummins men & all of them but esp the oldest brother could make a Stright piped Cummins Hum . .

Matter fact on his particular IH Transtar II He drove every once in awhile they had to weld the top step under the cab on the drivers side due to stress cracks . .

I remember about 15 yrs ago passing by the lot where he kept his trucks near his house 1 day . I was going to the scrap yard w/ a load of Old Undercarriage & cutting edges off our equipment . It was about this time of year & things were slow & I was trying make a little Christmas Money . I noticed A Tire service out there by his IH's & Log trailers I thought they were putting new tires on his trucks & trailers as we all were on a clearing job together @ that time & I remember my buddy talking bout getting new tires & rims on his trucks .

I Called him up on my cell going to the scrapyard & told him I see he was buying new tires & getting the Alcoa rims he got from another friend of our put on today .

Come to find out he went to 1 of the major Tire shops in Memphis & bought all new Goodyear 22.5 tires & had Alcoa rims he got from another friend of ours & had them put on the day before . & he asked what they looked like I told him . he asked if id turn around & wait till he got there & Toldme they were stealin his new tires & rims & he was on the way .

I Remember seeing a MPD Car @ a local corner store . I rode back to the store caught the officers told them what was going on & that I called my friend that owned the trucks @ that lot & that he was on the way . They went back there caught them in the act of taking the tires off the Trailer (log trailer had 22.5 on Dayton rims) & already had the truck blocked up & BY THIS TIME HAD A 2ND TIRE TRUCK TAKING TIRES OFF A 2ND OF 3 TRUCKS Sitting there . My buddy got there showed his paper work & talked to the cops & the cops arrested the 6 MEN stealing the tires . The cops told my buddy that he had a hell of a friend & I told the officers I was raised around him & his 4 brothers & we all work together & we are like family .

My reward was a big steak dinner & he tired to give me $100 & I wouldn't take it .

He told my pop (grandfather ) & pop told him you know Mack wont take it . He told pop he wanted me to have it . Pop gave in & told him that he would slip it in my paycheck @ the end of the week . it wasn't for some years later about the extra $100 in my check that week from another guy I worked with .

Sorry for the long post but we are talking about IH Transtars & Ihad to share that story w/ yall . I hope yall don't mind .

:mack1:

Great Story!!!! Thank you for sharing!! :)

Congratulations on the truck. It looks good.

Thank you!!

• Like 1

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Nice! First truck I ever drove was a 1974 Transtar. Matter of fact, so was the second and third trucks I drove, then I went to F models. H.H.Moore had dozens of them, along with a couple of Macks and two KW's. A couple were Eagles, the rest were the basic models with 290's, VT903's, and 350's in them. Very popular trucks then, you probably saw more of them on the road than anything else.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.