Is It Worth My Time And Money...?

for the past 2 years i have liked a b-42 mack tandem axel dump truck located in a junkyard near my home it needs the back window and the 3 of the door glasses replaced,half the seat,engine block is cracked,has minor surface rust on the fenders and the box needs to be repaired a bit. its going for 2,000 dollars and i want to know if i should buy this truck i dont plan on dumping a bunch of money into it beacuse for some weird reason i like the wore out look it has is it worth the sale price...and why is there no rust on it-rotted through- any where? lead paint maybee?

Well for 2k it should be a runner. The no rust is a big plus but the cracked block could be and probably is BAD news. Lots of other things enter into this like tire size and condition. Likely has tube style tires and some sizes are new only. Spoke or Budd wheels? In my opinion $500-1000 is more like it. Saying that if I realy liked it I might fork over the 2K and walk away smiling. But it will cost more than you think to get it road worthy. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

for the past 2 years i have liked a b-42 mack tandem axel dump truck located in a junkyard near my home it needs the back window and the 3 of the door glasses replaced,half the seat,engine block is cracked,has minor surface rust on the fenders and the box needs to be repaired a bit. its going for 2,000 dollars and i want to know if i should buy this truck i dont plan on dumping a bunch of money into it beacuse for some weird reason i like the wore out look it has is it worth the sale price...and why is there no rust on it-rotted through- any where? lead paint maybee?

Your not from Ohio are you? I saw a black tandem axel b model dump at the West Point junkyard. I think they were wanting around $2,000 for it. The one your talking about sounds like it needs a lot of time and money invested into it. Truck parts get expensive real quick.

Scott

no im from new york and the money thing shouldnt be too bad i mean other than the gklass and the engine thats possibley all i need,i dont realy want it restored just as it is would be fine i like the way it looks.well yeah tires brakes,cables so it would get expensive but thats ok for i have many years to get the money

A year and a half ago I bought the very B61 that my father had driven and my father-in-law had driven and I had driven when I was your age, I would lot drive it using it to spot trailers in the wash bay as I washed trucks for the company that My dad and father-in-law worked for. If you have a way to afford the truck, a place to keep the truck and enjoy working on the truck then by all means buy the truck. I am with John however, I believe that $500.00 to $1,000.00 would be the better cost. Mine has ment so much to me as I have done almost all the dis-assembly myself to this point. I will be continuing to be hands on on this project as well as the Mack F model that is setting in the driveway right now waiting for the time and money. The only way to truly appreciate what you have is to bust a few knuckles on it. Buying an already restored truck or paying someone to do ALL the work and then driving it with a big smile on your face and a "special" coke in your hand is no way to go. And since you want to keep the appearance somewhat "as it" then you have a head start.

Good luck to you young man, you are miles ahead of many of us already!

Terry

I got my first B61 when I was 13,and it was a hell of alot worse shape than the one you are looking at.No engine or trans.,beat up and rusty.Did all the work but painting it myself.Had it done by the time I was a Senior in High School.SSo I'd say if you have the desire and the means to do so,go for it,but I would try to jew them down on the price.I bought a running B42 with excellent sheet metal awhile back on Ebay for $500,only real problem with it was a broken rear spring and wore out trunion.It would bring close to $1400 at the steel mill right now,so I'd shoot for that or less.

Going after stuff thats done is cheaper in the long run, but that takes a lot of the fun out of it. :D I could be a little crazy too, all of my tractors, exept my Mack were siezed up when I bought them, now most of them run :P I just enjoy a good chalenge. It all depends on how much time you want to invest and how patient you are, if you do get that old girl I can gaurentee you will learn a lot :)