3 Generation's Of Dog

L to R

early 80's Superliner series 1, late 60's R model(Flintstone) and Brand new never been used Titan.

th_101_1357small.jpg

How are you mate? Thats a great photo, the 3 toughest looking Macks made. Where was that taken? I notice you're from Tassie. Ive got a V8 flinstone from down your way. Cheers mate, Skip.

Its the steel hood R in the middle of the Titan and Superliner.

Spot on Thad. They got the nickname after Fred Flinstones car for being so square looking after the B model. Were there many over in the USA Thad? Ive seen them in books but they are referred to as a DM. What exactly is a DM?

Spot on Thad. They got the nickname after Fred Flinstones car for being so square looking after the B model. Were there many over in the USA Thad? Ive seen them in books but they are referred to as a DM. What exactly is a DM?

I think you are referring to the RD. The DM had the offset cab and the RD was the heavier version of the R. RD's had a steel "butterfly" hood option but with the steel hood I don't think you could get an air ride cab. I guess the Steel hood was better suited for the tough conditions in Australia.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I think you are referring to the RD. The DM had the offset cab and the RD was the heavier version of the R. RD's had a steel "butterfly" hood option but with the steel hood I don't think you could get an air ride cab. I guess the Steel hood was better suited for the tough conditions in Australia.

Thanks Thad, you are spot on again mate, I was thinking of an RD. The fiberglass R bonnet was standard out here from new in 1966, but never really took off until the early 70's. I have a copy of the build sheets for my R615RS and the steel butterfly hood is listed as an option as opposed to the fibreglass. The fibreglass bonnets really started to move when the R700's were brought out. The air ride cab was released out here in 1976 but I have seen a 1976 plated R model with the steel butterfly hood(flinstone), so they were available up until then. It had a solid rubber mounted cab as you cant put bonnet rollers on a butterfly bonnet for an oscillating cab. Talking to older drivers the Flinstone was a popular choice for its durability, but the plastic bonnet R models did end up being a lot more comfortable and easier to service. Cheers mate, Skip :mack1:

How are you mate? Thats a great photo, the 3 toughest looking Macks made. Where was that taken? I notice you're from Tassie. Ive got a V8 flinstone from down your way. Cheers mate, Skip.

G'Day skip sorry i haven't replied but i was down south in Hobart for 4 day's teaching our new bloke how to operate a sideloader

That V8 Flinty.......ya didn't happen to get it from a company called Tas Timber Engineering in cambridge did ya?? ?? if so.... I drooled over that many times when delivering timber there

Oh and those 3 sweet dog's were taken at this years Deloraine Truck show about the only truck show left here in Tassie

Edited by werkhorse

G'Day skip sorry i haven't replied but i was down south in Hobart for 4 day's teaching our new bloke how to operate a sideloader

That V8 Flinty.......ya didn't happen to get it from a company called Tas Timber Engineering in cambridge did ya?? ?? if so.... I drooled over that many times when delivering timber there

Oh and those 3 sweet dog's were taken at this years Deloraine Truck show about the only truck show left here in Tassie

How are you mate? No I didnt get mine from that company, but I reckon I know the bloke who did, that was only recently. Is it a green one? Mine was in Tassie its whole working life but I actually bought it from a bloke in Wollongong. It belonged to Mt Foster Timber Co. in Fingal. Do you remember it? Do you have trucks yourself? You should've got hold of that V8, they are as rare as hens teeth. Only 25 came out. My records show I think there were 3 V8s in Tassie. Mine, Bonnys, and another that Im unsure of. Id love to get down to Tassie and have a look about. We have a mate down there who we met at Alice Springs, a good Mack man Gerald Olding, and Id like to catch up with him. Cheers mate. Skip :mack1:

The other blokes one would most likely be originally owned by Reynold's. I never knew there was a green one at Fingal :wacko: does gerald Olding own a yellow/White Trident tipper and dog ??? any time ya heading this way e mail me on werkhorse@hotmail.com and I'll see if we can catch up aye B):thumb:

The other blokes one would most likely be originally owned by Reynold's. I never knew there was a green one at Fingal :wacko: does gerald Olding own a yellow/White Trident tipper and dog ??? any time ya heading this way e mail me on werkhorse@hotmail.com and I'll see if we can catch up aye B):thumb:

The one from Fingal was all red I think, thats the one Ive got. I think the one that has recently been sold is green. That is the one youve seen, would that be right? We have an old picture of Bonnys and it looked like it couldve been yellow, they also had a Flinny with a 6cyl in it Im thinkin. Gerald does own a Triden with a dog so I think you're on the right track. Hes actually got a single drive B615, one of 3 out here. Thanks for the invite mate will certainly drop you a line when we're headin down your way. Do you get to many truck shows? There is a good one at Warragul in a couple of weeks (Trucks in action). We should have a couple of F models down there if things go to plan. Thanks again mate, Skip. :mack1:

WHat's a flintstone?
A Flintstone is any descendent of Fred Flintstone,originally from Bedrock,Pa.( between Breezerock and Somerrock,Pa.) Fred and Wilma Flintstone's only child was their daughter Pebbles,who married "Bam Bam" Rubble,son of Barney and Betty Rubble,Fred and Wilma's closest friends. Though it was rumored for years that Fred was having an affair with Betty,it was never proven.

Even though Fred had no male offspring to carry on the Flinstone name,he was rumored to have had dozens of illegitimate children who went by Flintstone,and after Pebbles and Bam Bam divorced,Pebbles started using her maiden name again,and all 14 of the children she had after the divorce were named Flintstone.Most of the bunch ended up in Maryland,about 12 or 14 miles east of Cumberland,where the town was named Flintstone,and is still known by that name to this day...glad I could help. :rolleyes:

...just goes to show 'ya,no matter what the question is SOMEBODY's got the answer here! :D...and it's all true :pat:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

hahaha skip that was my mistake i should have put red not green the next truck show of sort's is on the 16 th march here in Launceston It's called the St.Georges Special kid's run I've got a heap of mates from the big island coming down for it the only other main truck show is the one i took the 3 dog's at which was a couple of week end's ago

hahaha skip that was my mistake i should have put red not green the next truck show of sort's is on the 16 th march here in Launceston It's called the St.Georges Special kid's run I've got a heap of mates from the big island coming down for it the only other main truck show is the one i took the 3 dog's at which was a couple of week end's ago

That sounds like it could be a good one mate. So the 3 yellow bangers in the photo are yours? Is that the Flinny in the Mack calender? It looks like a ripper. If mine turn out half as good as that I'll be laughin. Id love to have a look at it to get a bit of an idea for mine. I saw Padgetts W model when it was up here at the local Kenworth dealer and I know this could be considered swearing on this forum but I thought it was the benchmark for a restoration. So itd be good to see a great restoration of a real truck. Cheers mate. :mack1:

None of them are mine but i know the owner pretty good his name is Dick Beckett, he comes from Exeter about 40-50 km's away would you believe that his son's only spent about $60,000 on the flinty :blink::blink: That W model of Padgett's is just downright awesome aye I watched that being restored about $200,000+ went into it the only thing they couldn't get for it was the steering wheel as old Charlie the original driver had hand's like sandpaper so yopu can only guess what it was like in the end.

I rekon the flinty will be going to the truck run but if it isn't i can hook ya up with him if ya head down this way B)

None of them are mine but i know the owner pretty good his name is Dick Beckett, he comes from Exeter about 40-50 km's away would you believe that his son's only spent about $60,000 on the flinty :blink::blink: That W model of Padgett's is just downright awesome aye I watched that being restored about $200,000+ went into it the only thing they couldn't get for it was the steering wheel as old Charlie the original driver had hand's like sandpaper so yopu can only guess what it was like in the end.

I rekon the flinty will be going to the truck run but if it isn't i can hook ya up with him if ya head down this way B)

Thanks mate, that would be good. That is the old girl in the calender. Have you got a copy of the calender? August is a good month ;) 200 grand? Fair Dinkum? Thats unbelievable. I like the sound of 60 a lot better. That wouldve had to be a fair bit of paid labour. Im a mechanic so and I should be able to save a bit on the driveline side of it. The paint and body work will be the dear part. Just bought another F model today so it might have to wait a bit longer! I was talkin o the bloke who bought that V8 Flinny and he said he bought it out of Hobart. And it is green in colour. Cheers mate :mack1: