parts needed for our fire truck

joes mack
Go to solution Solved by Barry,

ive been around newer pierce and kme trucks a lot and in my opinion they don't even come close to the dependability of the macks and almost all of the firefighters that have fought fire off of a mack will tell you the same thing. for my money you cant beat a mack... if they would get back in the fire truck business with a truck like the C F or the R they could and would put the other mfgs out of business or at least take most of it. I hope that we can get the trucks with the insurance money that we have left after the 87 goes to the shop im going to do the body and paint my self as I used to do that as a side job to save the dept a lot of money.

Congratulations on the finds. Nice to see an organization willing to work with what they can get and appreciating it as well.

The 68 is a pretty collectable piece because it is an example of the early CF's. I'd try marketing the cab, even if it is rough, because they are relatively rare.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Joe:

Good luck, hope that you can buy those two "CFs" and get yours back in service. As to the driver, give him a little space and time to recover, eventually he'll feel ready to drive again.

Almost all of us have put a ding (or worse) in a fire truck, it's part of dealing in a hazardous and ever changing environment.

bulldogboy

If you put enough miles on a fire truck it is always a matter of when, not if, you will fold something up. Driving under emergency conditions with a rig that is big enough to have it's own zip code while every other driver looks like they are the adversary in a video game is almost always going to result in some type of wreck sooner or later.

The first station I worked in also had a "new" back door courtesy of a driver who put the rig in reverse instead of first and "responded" through the back wall of the building with the base of the ground ladders. The powers to be decided to just add a new entry door instead of fixing the wall.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

well thanks to the crooked people at the court house and the so called judge that we have we will not be able to buy the other trucks the so called reason is that they are too old. the last time I checked a 1978 is newer than a 1971. they think it would not be feasible to replace one old truck with another. the 71 ford lafrance we are currently running is still a good truck but pump parts are rare for it we cant even find the seals to rebuild the discharge valves they all bypass water. and with the waterious pump you can get all the parts to rebuild it if the need arises. ive tried to explain this to them but you cant talk to stupid people. well that's my rant for today I just needed to vent I guess joe

Well if the judges house burns down then he'll change his mind. Our town was looking to buy a fire engine because all the houses that caught fire would burn before any of the towns around us would get there. So this one lady seemed to think that it was a waste of money so no one listened to the old hag and they bought the truck. First call the truck went on was to her house......they just got the truck running again after 20 yrs in time for the 75th anniversary of our department.

1938 Diamond-T and some more pictures of it:http://www.diamondtclassics.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album89&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

post-13537-0-84292200-1386376995_thumb.j

• Like 1

Matt

I don't know what the part #s are but we had a chief from another dept give us a few rebuild kits for the valves they had everything but the balls and they still bypass the balls are bad and have a few light scratches but it is still enough for them to bypass under pressure. hopefully if we can save up enough in our general fund we can buy the macks. im still hoping that we can get the magistrate for our district to bring it up in the fisical court meeting and they will vote to give us the money to buy the trucks. but after what ive been told by the chief when he contacted him he aint going to help us. what really burns my butt about that is he is a member of the dept and he was actually the first fire chief when the dept got started in 1984. and he lives roughly a mile down the road so if some thing happens down his way he will be wanting credit for being on the dept but you can bet if he don't at least try to help us when the time comes for re election I will be telling everyone about what he hasn't done.

Hello Joe,

Sorry to hear about all the problems the fire department is having getting the parts needed and replacing the older truck. Speaking for myself I had been a Volunteer fire fighter when groing up. I am no longer involved but it was a great time. The voulunteer fire service is where I got my set of values that I live my life by. It is also where I got my love of Mack trucks. Through collecting Mack Fire Apparatus I have met many great people accross the country and have formed a relationship with the Rangers Hose Company in Girrardville Pa. If you would post the contact information for your fire department I would like to send a check for $100.00 to put towards the repair of the CF and replacement of the older rig. This would be my way of giving something back to the fire service. I hope some of the other Big Mack Truck members also have good memories and would also be willing to help your cause.

Thanks,

Don Holden

• Like 2

don I appreciate your generosity and kindness but before I post the information I want you to know that im not on the site to try to get money from the members I would in no way do that. I like the site and I think of all of the people on here as friends. everyone on here has been helpful in answering questions from hyd brakes on our ford pumper to part #s for parts for my 69 dm600. to searial #s for the neighboring departments macks. I hope that this doesn't sound like im being a smart butt I just want everyone to know that I really appreciate all that you have done to help me personally. but if you still want the mailing address I will post it thank you all very much.....joe

Please post the address. The job is difficult enough when you have the right equipment. To ask folks to do a very dangerous job with half-ass worn out equipment is downright unethical.

Has your dept. applied for a FEMA grant to replace the equipment? http://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program

The next page has a link to a document you can use to evaluate your present truck to see if you qualify. (you will)

PM me if you need any assistance if you decide to apply. I have some contacts at FEMA that may be able to help you out.

Hello Joe,

I do understand that you are not on the site trying to raise money. I enjoyed hearing about the progress of your rig from when you guys initially got it. I too consider the other members of the sight my friends. If I had the parts needed to put your rig back on the road they would be offered to you.

There are a lot of great people here that have many acomplisments in both their profesional and personal lives. I believe that if I am able to help a friend then I do so as best I can. It seems to me that in this situation the only way I can help is sending money. I did not intend to send the wrong message to you. I would still like to make a donation to your department so if you could either post the contact information or send it to me in a PM that would be great.

Thanks

Don

• Like 1

thanks again for your generosity I really thank you all. don you didn't send the wrong message I just didn't want people to think I was posting about the truck to try to get money for a bogus cause like a lot of people do. but like you said you have seen the post from when we got the truck. fxfymn we have applied for them before but to no avail. we didn't do it right but I will pm you we need all the help we can get... joe

• 2 weeks later...

mack b67 those brackets and frame extensions look like what we need. we got the truck back and they tried to straighten the brackets but they are still bent just not as bad. what do you want for the brackets and frame extensions.. joe