RS600L 1977 breaks front wheels studs

Art_H

Just looking at getting a 1977 Mack RS600L, with an 18'000 lb front axle. The owner says that he needs to replace the front wheel studs every year. Any reasons for such a short life span?? Is this a common issue??

Seems to have the 315 engine and a 12spd.

Thanks,

Art

Loose wheels with worn out holes or worn out hubs.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

F Models we had in the late 70's and early 80's we used to have a lot of front studs brake, we bought the trucks used and replaced 1 or 2 at a time with replacement studs. Finally we replaced all of them at one time with OEM Mack studs and used a torque wrench to 500 lbs & never broke another one.

F Models we had in the late 70's and early 80's we used to have a lot of front studs brake, we bought the trucks used and replaced 1 or 2 at a time with replacement studs. Finally we replaced all of them at one time with OEM Mack studs and used a torque wrench to 500 lbs & never broke another one.

That is what I always tought that was breaking them and that was over torqueing.

glenn akers

The 1"impacts everybody wants to use on lug nuts are ridiculous overkill. When most places started using air to torque lug nuts the 1" guns were rated around 500ft lbs, now they are over 1000 and they're still using them just because they always have. I use a 1/2" or 3/4" to pull mine off and almost always a 1/2" to put them back on.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

It does seem to be a little odd. The prev owner tried all the different methods of installing the wheel studs etc and torqing to spec...maybe they had the wrong spec...lol

What would the tq spec be fpr an 18k fornt axle 10 stud?

300-400# on stud pilot if I remember right, hub pilot is stamped on the nut, 450-500#, a whole lot less than a 1" Impact for sure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 600ft lb TQ wrench to be sure for my wheels etc. The front wheel nuts were all over the place 450-550 lbs ish.

The nuts do look as though they are sunk into the wheel taper a little. Maybe I'll get some new wheels when I get new front boots...or get them machined. Maybe the plastic spacer in between the wheel and the hub.