Over Haul Kit

I have a 77' RS700L with a 375 V8 motor. My grandfather bought it new at the Louisville truck show and it has been in the family ever since then. I have had a lot of people tell me that was the wildest and fastest truck around in its day. My father worked the truck hauling coal untill the motor blew up in 94'. So he parked it and has been stealing parts here and there ever since then. I have another motor for it. I'm gonna take two and make one. I was wondering if any of you guys know about how much an over haul kit would be for a 375 V8? I looked at the valve cover tonight and it said it was an ???866. Does that sound right? I want to fix the motor and start restoring it. :D

I'm going to post some pictures of it in my gallery. It started out green and brown then went to white and marroon and is now blue and white

Thanks for any replies,

Scott

some of the old timers here will know the ins and outs of the older V8s from what I have heard was that the older V8s sometimes had problems...if yours made it to 1994 I would say you have a good one!!! I have a friend with (2) sister 1977 RS700Ls and both engines needed rod bearings around 150k. He said they were almost as fast loaded as empty...LOL but the engine was its strong and weak point. In my opinion the RS700Ls is the cadillac of the R models..

post some pics

I would love to see yours

Trent

That would be right,Scott,the 375 hp was a ENDT866 and was the Thermodyne counterpart to the ENDT865 Maxidyne.Never heard too much bad about the 866,they seemed to hold up better the 865's.I don't know anything,but I think one of the main reason's was that they put 10 and 12 speeds behind them instead of a 5 or 6 like the 865's.Barry can probably tell you for sure,but last I knew,864 thru 866 parts are nearly impossible to find,although I did see aftermarket rods and mains on Ebay awhile back.

some of the old timers here will know the ins and outs of the older V8s  from what I have heard was that the older V8s sometimes had problems...if yours made it to 1994 I would say you have a good one!!! I have a friend with (2) sister  1977 RS700Ls and both engines needed rod bearings around 150k. He said they were almost as fast loaded as empty...LOL but the engine was its strong and weak point. In my opinion the RS700Ls is the cadillac of the R models..

post some pics

Trent

I have a complete gasket set for an 866 if you need one.

post some pics

Trent

You have a real nice looking RS700L. What do you think of mine? My dad wasn't real good about taking pictures of our trucks, so those are the only ones I've got of it. I put a wheel and tire on the passenger side and was going to drag it out and do body work on it last October but we didn't finish getting it out of the weeds. Now I want to get the motor running first then do body work. I would love to hear the old girl run again.

Scott

Hello Scott

I just found the pics of your RS700,Sharp looking paint job. It will look real good after you fresh it up with some new paint and chrome. You will be happy after you get it up and running. My truck looked in compareable condition to yours when I got her home. took me many of nights working on it to get it looking good but I get many people that tell me how it was the nicest mack back in the day, Even got a few offers to buy her, and busness cards incase I ever want to sell her. I was just over at the yard where those 2 RS700s with the V8s under the hood. they had 2 stick 6 speeds. Tony,the owner said they were great lowboy trucks,fastest trucks here in chicago back in the day, but the engines were tempermental, he opend the door on both trucks and the engine repair info was written on the door jams. rod bearings at 150,xxx, main barings at etc.... he has a few VERY low milage C model macks in the garage...on jack stands!!!! and a few R models on jack stands... less than 100k on those also...he has not bought another truck sence 87 because the r models were bullit proof if you took care of them.

Thanks for the pics

Trent

Yeah Trents ol RS700 is pretty sweet, i seen it pull to, check out the pictures of my RS700 Trents seen it in person. Its alrite~Jon

Jon, you have one of the nicest RS700L's I have seen! I would have liked to see you and Trent pull those old R-models. :thumb: What kind of motor does it have in it?

Scott

Jon has the tip turbine 300+ and I think a 12 speed? :thumb:

I have the tip turbine 285 wth a 2 stick 6 spd :(

Jons truck did pretty good in the pull, The best part of the event was seeing all the new petes and KWs get shut down buy old superliners

Jon whens the next truck pull? I stoped over at Norther IL Mack a few times to see Lee, He had mentioned a few pulls before fall.

glad you moved over to this site. Thanks for all the help and support at the truck pull

keep in touch

Trent