B model speedometer

Hey everyone! Hope all is well! I have what I think is the original speedo in my truck. It has the bulldog on it. My tach looks old but doesn't have the dog. Anyway, the speedo didnt work when I bought the truck and Dennis sent me a new cable with truck. I located the original cable still attached to rear of trans so I fished up through dash and for the life of me can't get it in the speedo. The back of the speedo has a brass housing that protrudes beyond the threads of the actual guage. I have installed many speedo's through the years but this one has me stumped! Any thoughts?

post-12952-0-74712600-1378165357_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words. This is my first truck so I am learning and greatly appreciate everyone's incredible knowledge of these American icons. I kinda figured that everything looked original so it should just reconnect. Should the guages have the bulldog if they are original? Also, the tach has the same flexible metal cable and ends are the same which makes me believe that the cable is original. I will let everyone know what happens. Is there any sources for original guages these days. I am planning a trip through wyoming in the near future in search of parts

most of the early B models never had the dogs on them , the tach or the speedo. most newer B models then had the dogs on the tach after around 1959 or so. some had the dogs on both, most didn't have dogs on the speedo. confused??? haha. probably depends on what they grabbed out of the box. the cable that looks like a piece of metal BX electric cable is original. most newer ones are the same with plastic covering . like I said some had the small square drive and some the larger one. that depends on year also. the gauged are available from Watts or Stewart Warner yet. think they are called the 'wings' or retro gauges or something. the 53-58 B models had the fuel gauge that read 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4. the one after 59 just read 1/2. think that's the only gauge that changed.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I dunno about you guys but I learn something new everytime I wrench an old B model. nothing is in stone but I have just noticed that most early B models didn't have the dogs on the tach or the speedo. then the later ones had the dog on the tach but not speedo. course there are variations

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg