Mack Fire Apparatus

Loadstar

Looking for information on the time line...... or evolution of Mack fire Apparatus..... Models.....years built....Production numbers.....E.t.c....Particularly the "L"....But Interested to find out about all of the models. Still have a lot to learn....for instance i never knew how rare Open cab CF's were until reading a post here recently.... I use to work for a department near Boston that had one....I think.............That was awhile ago.........Thanks.......

Was the town near Boston Newton? They had an open cab CF, but put a roof on it back in the 70's. Continental Fire Apparatus in Hopkinton did it by placing an F model tractor roof on it.

Harvey's book "Mack Fire Apparatus 1911-2005" contains all of the data you are looking for. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1583881573

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That is why going to shows and joining antique truck groups is so helpful. You are right, all the answers aren't in the books. (Like knowing exactly what happened to Newton's open cab CF)

I always thought Newton had some of the cleanest, best looking Macks in the Boston area.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Yes it was Newton......I've seen the books...... Just figured that guys who owned a particular truck would have the best information on that model.....Things that maybe weren't written in a book.... Thanks for the replies

If Harvey Eckert has not put the information in any of his books, it's not worth knowing about.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That is why going to shows and joining antique truck groups is so helpful. You are right, all the answers aren't in the books. (Like knowing exactly what happened to Newton's open cab CF)

I always thought Newton had some of the cleanest, best looking Macks in the Boston area.

Up there with Lynnfield! Right, Paul? Any FD with an "N" model Mack has to be okay in my book.

On the other hand, the hard scrabble mill cities of Lowell and Lynn, MA ran their "C" and "CF" fire trucks hard. They ran from factory conflagrations to tenement fires back to factory conflagrations back to tenement ...,

well, you get the picture. Those Macks were working trucks, did a great job, and retired as battle weary veterans.

bulldogboy

From what i've seen the books are a great resource.....Just don't have any yet. Should have the "L" model book on its way from Harvey soon. Certainly didn't mean any disrespect. As far as the CF from Newton....I have no idea where it ended up. Anybody know if they got rid of it and when? They had a C model as well ....and a couple other older trucks they got from other towns. None of them were at my station so i didnt get see them that often. Good department and I worked with some great guys.....but Boston traffic gets old quick!!!!!

Newton had a bunch of B models back when Capt. Marvel was still a Lieutenant. There was a time in the Boston area that Mack and Maxim pretty much ruled the roost.

post-12279-0-00400000-1376962625_thumb.jHere's a question for guys with a newer "L" model......Do your hub caps look like this? I met a guy the other day who mentioned that most "L" model hub caps fit on the inside of the hub.....instead of the outside....I'm guesing like a "B" model?

The picture is what a B model uses. I have also seen the "half-moon" style on L models that are flatter. They are pretty rare and I think that is why you see the B model style on some trucks, like mine, that were not factory equipped with them.