....Another bad accident with an antique rig (PPP Muster, Hbg Pa. 7/13/2013)

1958 F.W.D.

Backing is easy if you remember to hold the wheel at the bottom and turn it in the direction you want the trailer to go in.

Until you get a rookie on board with a bunch of jakes harassing him about his backing ability. Our company was drive through bays, but we used to fill an old station with narrow back in only bays. We would always make sure the engine got there first so we could perch in the second story windows and harass the tiller man as he tried to back in. One miss and it was all over.

After we were done screwing with him the driver would feign indignation, tell him to hold the damn wheel still, and back the truck in like you would any trailer just to prove how worthless the rookie was. Oh the shame!

And while the hand theory is sound you cannot "shuffle" turn the wheel fast enough to make a hard 90 degree turn such as when you back in to spot the turn table. You have to go hand over hand to get it done and that is when you lose your place.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Hi fxf, I was on my way out of the city that day at Brigham Circle when I saw those trucks responding, then by the time I got home two hours later, was all over the news. When they returned with sirens its very possible another call came in, but I do know a lot of times the sirens were on when returning usually when congested there as you know Wentworth is behind the station.

RONCETTI

Backing is easy if you remember to hold the wheel at the bottom and turn it in the direction you want the trailer to go in.

That takes the fun out of it. got to mess with the driver and crab it back then go to the other side and just go nutty on them once in a while

Paul, Not saying it didn't happen; in Boston anything is possible. Yes, I do know about Wentworth and NU. My dad was a Wentworth alum and my uncle an NU alum.

Hopefully I'll be in your neck of the woods next month. We'll be visiting my sister-in-laws place in Centerville. Nothing like the cool Cape weather when it's steaming down here.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

No, another legend in the BFD annals: Killduff. As I recall it was District 14 and he was the fill-in DC for any district that caught a job. I was maybe 10, (A long, long time ago, in a far away world) so I could be wrong.

My best ride with the BFD was riding on the fire boat (E-31 as I recall) when they did their monthly harbor tour on a Sunday. My Dad knew the company Captain so we would catch a ride with them once or twice a year. Pretty heady stuff for a 8 to 12 year old. I even got to run one of the guns on a job at a pier on one trip. Best quote was from the jake who handed me the wheel; "Just point it in that direction, there is so much fire you can't miss."

Its pretty hot here right now fxf,

Normally we would be there by now, but the hot weather has deterred us among other things. It is bad enough down here, but at least everything is air conditioned, not so up there. A lobster and steamer dinner is just not as much fun when the dining room or deck is 90 plus.

I'd love to come see the B-81. I'm sure it will bring back some memories of my (mis)spent youth. Falmouth also holds a special place in my heart for me; that's where I met my wife.

• Like 1

The department that I worked for had all straight aerial ladders. One time we had to borrow a tiller from a neighboring department. My department had to find the few drivers who had driven a tiller

back in the '50s and '60s. I had a chance to drive the tiller and, let me tell you, it takes a LOT of practice. The hardest part for me was to realize that you were at the mercy of the tractor

driver, he set the speed and you had better keep up with him. Every time that I looked for the brake pedal, it wasn't there. It is imperative that the two drivers practice with each other; it is not a

job in which you put two guys together and say, "have at it, boys". We did not have the tiller long enough to get a lot of practice on it.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

it is not a

job in which you put two guys together and say, "have at it, boys".

Yep; but in a large dept. you are likely to have a combination of details and OT folks who have never worked together before at a given location. Makes it tough to keep a cohesive team together.

My ex dept. is in the process of returning to tillers for the first time in 20 years. They are speccing out 4 to replace the rear mounts that are presently being used. It could be an interesting experiment since they will have 4 tillers, 6 towers, and 4 rear mounts in front line service. Getting the right staff in place when details and OT are used extensively could turn out to be problematic. I'm sure they'll make it work and I'm happy to see the return of "real" ladder trucks.

So, do we really know what happen last Saturday during the fire truck parade in Harrisburg?

Yes. The gentleman who owns the rig (and was driving) that cause the accident is a close friend of mine. We spoke at length this past Tuesday. I am not 100% sure how much is out there or who knows what- but out of respect for his privacy I am not going to say much other than to say it was a terrible accident, no one was injured, the parties involved are all working towards an amicable outcome as far as compensation for repairs and that the gentleman is upset. I will also add that he is very conscientious about maintenance and pre-trip inspections. The truck in question was pre-tripped on Friday, and was driven approx. 120 miles one way to the muster with absolutely positively no hint of trouble whatsoever.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Thanks, Will do. I hope the health thing is nothing serious. (and if the Red Sox keep doing sh.t like they did last night I'll be in the cardiac unit anyways)

1969; She and six other girls rented a place on Brick Kiln Rd. for the summer. She worked at the sub shack at Zacks. How's that for a throw back?

Ah, the carefree summers of youth.

I was in Falmouth several weeks ago; had dinner at the British Beer Works near Surf Drive Beach. It was nice looking out over Vineyard Sound at Martha's Vineyard. Not being from the Cape, I forget

how close Martha's Vineyard is to the mainland. Still need to get over to Edgartown someday and check out the F.D.'s Mack "AB" and "A" fire engines.

bulldogboy

I was in Falmouth several weeks ago; had dinner at the British Beer Works near Surf Drive Beach. It was nice looking out over Vineyard Sound at Martha's Vineyard. Not being from the Cape, I forget

how close Martha's Vineyard is to the mainland. Still need to get over to Edgartown someday and check out the F.D.'s Mack "AB" and "A" fire engines.

bulldogboy

From where you were it's 7 miles. You were in Falmouth Heights.

RONCETTI