Chrysler to Offer V-6 Diesel Engine Option for 2014 Ram

kscarbel

Bloomberg / June 28, 2013

Chrysler Group LLC said it will offer a V-6 diesel engine as an option for Ram 1500 pickup trucks.

The 3-liter diesel engine will be priced $2,850 higher than the 5.7-liter Hemi gasoline V-8. Chrysler also offers the pickup with a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine.

Pickups are a major source of profit for Chrysler as well as competitors General Motors and Ford.

Ram pickup sales surged 23% this year through May, better than Chrysler’s total 9 percent gain during that period.

Chrysler is majority owned by Turin, Italy-based Fiat SpA.

GM is introducing redesigned Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra large pickups.

Ford in January unveiled a prototype of a revamped F-150 pickup called Atlas that foreshadowed its future trucks.

Italy's VM Motori designs and produces very good small diesel engines. Jeep products produced in Toledo for export to Europe have used them for years.

However, with the Dodge pickup truck and the U.S. market in mind, this upcoming diesel engine option absolutely should be a Cummins product.

Any thoughts on the new Diesel for the Grand Cherokee? I like my gas powerd one , might go that route if the Diesel is good, im guessing its got to be the same?

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee will get the very same VM Motori 3.0-liter diesel engine. For the Grand Cherokee, it's a nice fit. I'd buy one (actually I'm waiting on the launch of a diesel Wrangler-based pickup akin to the 2005 Gladiator concept, which Jeep now says is a "go").

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-v-6-first-drive-review

But for the Dodge pickup, for that customer segment, Cummins would be the preferred choice.

A diesel option on the 1500 is a good idea but its more for fuel mileage over pulling power IMO. If you want to haul you still need to buy a 2500/3500 with a Cummins in it. My 1500 does what I ask it for but I am limited. Next truck is going to be a 2500 or Dually with a Cummings so I can hook up a gooseneck trailer to it.

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee will get the very same VM Motori 3.0-liter diesel engine. For the Grand Cherokee, it's a nice fit. I'd buy one (actually I'm waiting on the launch of a diesel Wrangler-based pickup akin to the 2005 Gladiator concept, which Jeep now says is a "go").

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecodiesel-v-6-first-drive-review

But for the Dodge pickup, for that customer segment, Cummins would be the preferred choice.

Yes-but what Cummins??

Yes-but what Cummins??

This 3.0L VM Motori V6 diesel packs a punch at 240hp and 420 ft-lb. (Of course actual seat-of-the-pants power is another matter).

Just looking at what Cummins has "on the shelf:

• The 2.8L ISF is rated from 109 to 150 horsepower
  • The 3.8L ISF is rated from 143 to 167 horsepower
  • The 4.5L 4-cylinder ISB 4VH is rated from 140 to 210 horsepower

Personally, I'd be happy with the 210hp 4VH ISB4 in a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup. However, it's not beyond Cummins to offer Chrysler an all-new design to meet the need. Small diesels in the 1/2 ton pickup truck segment is the long-term direction, and would broaden Cummins' OEM sales.

I'll bet that 4-cyl Cummins turbo would be a perfect fit for the 1500 Ram (It was the same as there 6 with 2 less cyl) we had them in our IR SD-100 soil compactors,and they were a dam good motor (the SD 115 had the 6) plenty a power and torque for a 4-cyl.

BULLHUSK

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Chrysler isn't the only company considering a light-duty, full-size diesel truck. Nissan is currently working on a program with Cummins to develop a four-cylinder diesel power plant for Nissan's upcoming redesign of its full-size Titan pickup.

Initial testing of the Cummins' 2.8-liter, four-cylinder diesel was aimed at delivering 210 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque. The 3.0-liter VM Motori V6 diesel that will be offered in the Ram 1500 is rated at 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

The Cummins 2.8-liter ISF is normally rated from 109 to 150 horsepower for light truck applications (the equivalent of an Isuzu NPR). For a 1/2 ton pickup, 210 horsepower would be fine, though I'd rather have the extra displacement of the 3.8 liter ISF.