Heavy single frame vs double frame which is better?

How much road salt will the truck see?. The truck I drive at my new job does nothing but heavy haul/lowboy..840,000 miles on heavy single rail frame is perfect. 6 wheelers are better speced as double rails but Most of the tractors i have driven that had double rails and worked in the winter had frame issues due to road salt. There is no arguement that a double rail is stronger than single but If your just doing standard loads nothing extreme....heavy single in my opinion.

How much road salt will the truck see?. The truck I drive at my new job does nothing but heavy haul/lowboy..840,000 miles on heavy single rail frame is perfect. 6 wheelers are better speced as double rails but Most of the tractors i have driven that had double rails and worked in the winter had frame issues due to road salt. There is no arguement that a double rail is stronger than single but If your just doing standard loads nothing extreme....heavy single in my opinion.

I run in and out a landfill hauling slag! Also when not there I do milling and dirt jobs! That landfill is hard on trucks! The truck I'm considering is a granite quad but it says heavy single axel

A quad with a heavy single would be ok, most of your newer Granite's are going to have the heavy single unless ordered otherwise. A quad with an 18-19' body, 18-20k front and 44-46k Mack rears on camelback suspension with a 4.42 rear(Eaton trans), 4.64 rear (mack trans)or 5.02 rear (Allison trans) will all be nearly the same rpm/road speed, roughly 1800rpm @ 66-70mph depending on tires. That should be a pretty nice spec for a quad I had my 04 was an 18k multileaf front, 18k tag, 44k Mack rears, 4.64 gears with a 427 aset and T310M trans, it did s great job after I got Mack to turn it up.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Our 2 new Granites are heavy single frames. I think that's the way to go, especially if you are in a lot of salt and muddy conditions. A lot easier to keep clean . Double frames have a tendency to rust up between the rails, they're ok if you get them new and take care of them, maybe spray rust proofing oil between the frame rails.and keep them washed good.

• 4 weeks later...

If your trucks tare weight is an issue keep an eye on the weight of going single frame VS double. I have seen where a double frame on a CH in 2001 was lighter then the heavy single frame. The RBM frame rail ratings between the single heavy and double were very close.

I'm pretty sure the double was an 8" rail with a smaller insert and the single was 9.5" and thicker then the 8" rail.