Pictures of the Day

other dog

Amen to what Ed said, first off.

I cooked a pig yesterday- well, not a whole pig but almost enough parts to build a pig. Cleaned out the freezer last weekend and got out 3 boston butts that had been in there a long time. They looked fine though.

They're in the smoker, 4:30 am.

post-1374-0-29270900-1369592851_thumb.jp

They looked like this at 11:00 am.

post-1374-0-34992300-1369592922_thumb.jp

Look about like this now-

post-1374-0-22678600-1369592996_thumb.jp

I couldn't catch the chipmunk...

post-1374-0-68371500-1369593110_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My wife and I used to go to Charlotte to the World 600 every Memorial Day weekend in the mid-80's to early 90's. They used to say the pre-race activities were worth the price of admission, we always had a great time. One year some other people from Appomattox went and they camped in the infield. We always stayed at a motel in Lexington, most of the motels closer to Charlotte jacked the rates up about 3 times the usual rate on race weekend.

One of the guys had either borrowed or rented a van. Had windows in the back with blinds in them. Several of them went out to some club in Charlotte the night before the race, and the guy with the van picked up some girl there and brought her back to the party in the infield. Before everybody turned in for the night another one in the group had the brilliant idea to get in the van and open those blinds. I heard later that they all got quite a show when the guy and girl spent the night in the van. They even called over strangers that happened to be passing by the next morning-

" hey y'all, come look at this!"

They were still sleeping, nekkid as jaybirds, and everybody around was looking and laughing.

Another time a friend went with us, and after Saturday's race I said "if you want more beer for tomorrow's race we'd better get it now".

he said "that's all right, I don't need beer, let's go eat."

The next morning we fought the traffic, got to the track, made our way to our seats, race was minutes from starting, he says "eff this, I need a beer!"

So he takes a cooler, walks out of the speedway to a store back down rt. 29 about half a mile or so away from the track. By the time he got back the race was well under way. He said people were hollering "hey dumbass,the race track is the other way" at him as he was walking to the store. But he got his beer.

Dem butts look good. Nice bark and all. What seasoning did you use? I like Byron's Butt rub

Nice story about race day activities

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Dem butts look good. Nice bark and all. What seasoning did you use? I like Byron's Butt rub

Nice story about race day activities

Thank you, they were very good, I just put some of my home made rub on them and poured about a cup of my home made vinegar based barbecue sauce over it after I pulled it apart.

Same guy went to Martinsville with us several times. He'd stay over and sleep on the couch the night before so we could get an early start. The bottom 7 rows on the backstretch were all unreserved seats, so we usually left around 7am to get a good spot. I had to go to the Dew Drop Inn in Appomattox and retrieve him a few times on Saturday night so he could go, and not make us late. He liked to drink...anyway, he came over one Saturday night before the race. I had already packed my cooler, had some beer, a few diet Mountain Dews for my wife, ice, and I made 2 or 3 tuna salad sammiches and had them right on top.

The race started at 1pm I think, and we got there several hours early to get the best unreserved seats, and to avoid traffic of course. After sitting a while I thought i'd get me a sammich...opened the cooler...can't find any. Hmmmm...I put them right on top...wtf?...dig through the ice...beer...sodas...no tuna sammiches. Well, I must have imagined making those tuna sammiches and putting them in the cooler. Had to go get some of the famous Martinsville hot dogs.

He didn't say anything at first, but he finally said "I ate your sandwiches"

I said "why did you eat my sammiches?"

he said "well,I got hungry last night,so I ate them"

I said "no problem, but if you'd told me I could have made more".

I was a little pissed off at the time, but we got a lot of laughs about it later. I kinda lost contact with him after a few years, he got married, had several children. I heard he passed away a few years ago.

BBQ looks great! never really knew about "pulled pork" BBQ till we moved down here,i like it! BTW,if anybody is ever down to Martinsville for the races,we are only about 4 miles from the track..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.