fuel line diameter?

looks like aeroquip stuff there.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Here's what the old Mack injection lines used to look like.

They had special ends fitted to the ends of the tubing they were not flared from the tubing.

The last lines I can remember getting from the Mack Co. did however, I believe, have some sort of flare formed from the tubing.

This was around 2007 and the first things I said when I saw these were---how cheap can you get and these things will never work!

They did work I don't know how, sure don't look like much compared to the old ones.

Even though these newer ones were flared they're still not something that you can make yourself at least not that I know of ?

Ron

post-8482-0-89259700-1369536388_thumb.jp

post-8482-0-47391900-1369536399_thumb.jp

post-8482-0-16151700-1369536414_thumb.jp

post-8482-0-19895100-1369536424_thumb.jp

post-8482-0-03633100-1369536434_thumb.jp

yep.... just regular thin wall tubing, will take delivery fuel pressure but not pump to injector pressure...

BC Mack

Only 75 to 100 psi in these lines, they are for the 8 injectors on my 2.3 Mustang 4 cylinder. I showed them for an example of the fitting set up. These fittings and collars are aluminum but they are also available in stainless and ultra high pressure steel

The flares that replaced the lines 39babymack shows are an inverted flare the is a 3 step process and requires a press, the dies and the arbors to make the flare and the Go / NOGO gauge to check the end result. The originals were made with the sweat brazed fittings because the tooling and technology to do the line flares was new in 1938 / 39 and mainly in the Aircraft industry.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Only 75 to 100 psi in these lines, they are for the 8 injectors on my 2.3 Mustang 4 cylinder. I showed them for an example of the fitting set up. These fittings and collars are aluminum but they are also available in stainless and ultra high pressure steel

The flares that replaced the lines 39babymack shows are an inverted flare the is a 3 step process and requires a press, the dies and the arbors to make the flare and the Go / NOGO gauge to check the end result. The originals were made with the sweat brazed fittings because the tooling and technology to do the line flares was new in 1938 / 39 and mainly in the Aircraft industry.

41Chevy.....yes, I realised you were not comparing them to diesel injector lines....

that same nut in aviation standards is called an AN818... with the correct steel line and steel fittings most airliners run 3000psi hydraulic pressure through them...

39 Baby Mack.... that is one of the styles I've seen... looks like the collar is held in place by the flare.

I'll try and scan the old book I have and see if that is what Mack also used in the period.

BTW... who made Mack injection pumps and injectors in the early days?????

BC Mack

41Chevy.....yes, I realised you were not comparing them to diesel injector lines....

that same nut in aviation standards is called an AN818... with the correct steel line and steel fittings most airliners run 3000psi hydraulic pressure through them...

39 Baby Mack.... that is one of the styles I've seen... looks like the collar is held in place by the flare.

I'll try and scan the old book I have and see if that is what Mack also used in the period.

BTW... who made Mack injection pumps and injectors in the early days?????

BC Mack

BC Mack,

This is an old Mack injection line that I cut and bent to to use when I used to flow time the older Macks.

The older Macks used American Bosch injection pumps, first ones used a woodward hydraulic governor later ones used a mechanical governor.

Ron

BC Mack,

This is an old Mack injection line that I cut and bent to to use when I used to flow time the older Macks.

The older Macks used American Bosch injection pumps, first ones used a woodward hydraulic governor later ones used a mechanical governor.

Ron

I did the same... took an old pipe and cut it to about 3", bent into a swan neck.... you can then temporarily remove the delivery valve from the pump element and "spill time" which was more accurate than lining up the stamped markings... especially for the pumps used on Gardner engines which used a scribed line in a window and was always hard to read correctly when the engine was mounted horizontally under the floor of a bus.

BC Mack