Clutch Rattle

r600

can anyone help my r-model clutch rattles when you depress it ,have looked inside inspection hole and carnt see anything wrong.it's roadranger rt915 the only thing i can see is the throw out bearing grease hose is broken and the grease nipple is at the top and you carnt get at it throw out bearing maybe dry???maybe i can remove the two half's of the throw out shaft and remove the fork and spin the bearing and grease????hope someone hasnt fitted clutch plate back to front????help please adrian :wacko::wacko::wacko:

if your grease hose is off the throw out bearing your going to have to pull the tranny anyway. Mack clutch forks are set up to where the throw out bearing has to be upsidedown as i call it with the grease hole at the top. Macks use a grease hose with a metal pipe on the end to fit on the throw out bearing. Just pull the tranny and inspect the clutch good and fix what you find wrong and get the grease hose that will fit the throw out bearing before you put the tranny back in.

if your grease hose is off the throw out bearing your going to have to pull the tranny anyway. Mack clutch forks are set up to where the throw out bearing has to be upsidedown as i call it with the grease hole at the top. Macks use a grease hose with a metal pipe on the end to fit on the throw out bearing. Just pull the tranny and inspect the clutch good and fix what you find wrong and get the grease hose that will fit the throw out bearing before you put the tranny back in.

You can remove the setscrews that hold the clutch fork to the 2 halves of the throwout shaft , pull the release lever out of the side of the bellhousing,push the other half of the shaft out the other side of the bellhousing (takes some effort, there's a welch plug in the outside of the bore), then remove the fork, spin the throwout bearing so the grease port is to the bottom where you can reach it, and do whatever is necessary to connect the grease hose again. I've done it a couple of times, usually the pipe nipple is broken off in the throwout bearing, so you have to remove the broken piece and put in a new one and reconnect the hose, then spin the bearing right side up and reassemble the fork to the shaft.

No need to pull the transmission for this.

Regarding the rattle when the clutch is disengaged, are you sure it's not just the normal rattle of the centerplate when there is no tension on it?

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

HK Im not so sure he can do that with a fuller trans!It is a can do with any mack trans thou.

Regarding the rattle when the clutch is disengaged, are you sure it's not just the normal rattle of the centerplate when there is no tension on it?

And you are correct !

This may be a normal clatter

HK Im not so sure he can do that with a fuller trans!It is a can do with any mack trans thou.

And you are correct !

This may be a normal clatter

hk i like what ur telling me re-fork remove but the rattles only when engaging the clutch(push the pedal down)thanks to all for your help adrian

hk i like what ur telling me re-fork remove but the rattles only when engaging the clutch(push the pedal down)thanks to all for your help adrian

Adrian, that is what HK is telling you. When you depress the clutch pedal, you are actually disengaging the clutch. With the clutch pedal pushed down, the clutch disc(s) and center plate are unloaded, (providing no clamping or driving force) and the center plate can rattle against the driving dogs in the flywheel. This happens as parts age and wear.

If your throwout bearing is bad, or loose, you most likely will feel a grind through the pedal when depressed. Most times with a bad bearing, you do not need to fully depress the clutch pedal to feel a bad bearing. You should not feel the bearing working if it is sound.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

can anyone help my r-model clutch rattles when you depress it ,have looked inside inspection hole and carnt see anything wrong.it's roadranger rt915 the only thing i can see is the throw out bearing grease hose is broken and the grease nipple is at the top and you carnt get at it throw out bearing maybe dry???maybe i can remove the two half's of the throw out shaft and remove the fork and spin the bearing and grease????hope someone hasnt fitted clutch plate back to front????help please adrian :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I have a 72 R model with a 5 speed and it rattles, there is 3 plates that acts like springs that holds the center ptate that you can get to keep it from rattleing, i put a new clutch in my B model with a 13 roadranger and it came with them. no rattle at all. Ron