While we're talking about welders & welding projects...

Go to solution Solved by rsb502,

Anyone have any experience with one of the various "under hood" welders? Something along the lines of Mobi-Arc or Premier Power Welder or any others I haven't run across yet?

I ran into a situation a couple weeks ago where something like that would have come in handy....blew out a trailer tire and that broke a weld on the bracket supporting the side skirt on the trailer. It also shredded a cable, but I could have used bailing wire to temporarily fix that issue...the broken weld on the bracket, not so easy. I ended up removing that entire side of the skirt and securing it to the catwalk as I waited for the tire guy to show up to replace the tire...then I had to swing by the yard on my way home to get it fixed. Rather than fix it, they handed me a new bracket and cable and sent me home to reinstall the side skirt myself. Would have been MUCH easier to just weld the broken bracket on the side of the road and twist some bailing wire together to "make" a temporary cable rather than wrestle that silly side skirt like I did.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The bracket is steel...bolts onto the aluminum subframe of the trailer. These welders would use 6011, 6013, 7018, etc electrodes. I've seen electrodes for aluminum welding, but they are DCEP if I remember right, and I've only got an AC welder right now. These under hood welders seem to be DC, so it'd be a possibility I guess to weld some other stuff...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• Solution

Not duck brand anymore I get gorilla tape, it is bad stuff. I have used an underhood welder and all I can say is deal with it when you get to a real welder or get a new bracket. I tried 7018 rods in 3/32, 1/8, and 5/32 the 1/8 Lincoln rods seemed to do best but it was very slow going and not easy to control. Just so ya know I weld at work weekly I have a Lincoln 305D on my truck I use 1/8" 6011 rods for root passes on deep cracks or joints and 5/32 7018 for my cover passes, I use Lincoln Excalibur rods almost exclusively they seem to strike easier than radnor and others. I do like radnor 7018 1/4" for backhoe buckets and large plate stuff they fill fast but I still use a Lincoln for my root pass.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I've found the industrial strength duck brand to be a good balance between strength and price. Gorilla tape is just too darned expensive for this penny-pincher. As for the underhood welders, I've seen them advertised in 4x4 magazines and such & been curious about 'em for a while....sounds like they'd be pretty handy, but I guess it is yet another example of a great concept with poor execution.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in my jeepin' days, there was always at least one welder and one air compressor in the pack.....mind you, that was jeeps and pickups...not that heavy of steel. Saved our asses more than once.... Oh, can't forget the all important winch truck. :)

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....