Never thought I'd see the day...

RowdyRebel

...when a government rule-maker holds himself to the same rules he makes for everyone around him.

Judge holds himself in contempt for his cell phone

Michigan Judge Raymond Voet doesn't like phones interrupting court proceedings. It's fair enough; court is very serious business, and the last thing you need is someone's wacky ringtone right at the moment of sentencing. Voet, therefore, decided that offenders are liable to be held in contempt and fined, a policy that's stated in a clear sign hanging in Voet's courtroom.

So when, in the middle of court, his own phone started asking him to give it voice commands, he had no choice but to hold himself accountable.

"The prosecutor was in the middle of his closing arguments," Voet, an Ionia County 64-A District Court judge, told ABC News. "He lost his train of thought and looked at me. I felt my face starting to burn red." Voet turned off his phone and allowed the prosecutor to continue. During a break in proceedings, however, he fined himself the $25.

Voet, who used to use a BlackBerry, had just switched to a new Windows phone and was not as familiar with its operation, leaving the phone unlocked -- but, having heard many such excuses from people whose phones he has confiscated over the years, he said that he had to hold himself to the same standard.

"Judges are humans," he told the Associated Press. "They're not above the rules. I broke the rule, and I have to live by it."

:thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

In a government "of the people, by the people, and for the people"....one which receives its powers "by the consent of the governed"....this should be the rule, NOT the exception. The mere fact that it is so rare of an event as to warrant a news write-up in the national news speaks loudly for the sad state that this nation is in.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!