MATS truck show

staxx

Before I forget I should clarify, Rob the second from right in the pic has a 73 W900a ext. Hood with a 1693 CAT and double over 8LL. He will get all touchy if he sees W900 next to his name he's hardcore old school truckin.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Was staying out in Shelbyville and came across this R-model on a job site. The dog must have jumped off the hood to chase

a squirrel awhile back and was replaced with a chunk of metal. Also a nice looking older White out in the show n shine.

post-13943-0-69323600-1364178421_thumb.j

post-13943-0-35880600-1364178428_thumb.j

• Like 1

Almost forgot, the mirrors and mudflaps were backwards on the Superliner too, that kills me for some stupid reason.

Yea,why do they do that? I think its just to piss us off,84!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Yea,why do they do that? I think its just to piss us off,84!

Most folks I talk to don't know any better. I've seen one around here with two right hand mirrors, he told me they were all the same they don't make different sides! I almost had an infarction!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That is one of my pet peaves! "People, just take a look at some old BULLDOG mags and see the proof THE DOGS FACE INWARD FROM THE FACTORY,ALRIGHT???!!!!!" :blah:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I have to agree on the placement (or lack of) on the bulldogs,one of my pet peeves is when someone has one for sale,or are talking about a truck with one in it,its C-U-M-M-I-N-S Cummins engine not " Cummings" always bothered me i don't know why!.............Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

How bout "trailor" see it all the time makes me wonder if these people actually have a heart beat.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got a pic of Rob "Super Chicken" Hollis' 73 K Dub its a long hood W900 A model with a 1693 Cat, very cool old truck. Rob is second from the right in the group pic.

post-5240-0-74701000-1366730925_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree on the placement (or lack of) on the bulldogs,one of my pet peeves is when someone has one for sale,or are talking about a truck with one in it,its C-U-M-M-I-N-S Cummins engine not " Cummings" always bothered me i don't know why!.............Mark

I agree.

Another one is people claiming they have or know someone who has a double over 15 speed Fuller.

I have had many heated discussions with someone claiming to have a double over Fuller this or that.

When you ask how that could be possible they always fall back on the shift pattern.

Most don't even understand when you try to explain how a 13 speed OO is created thru the use of a single O.D in both the front and rear boxes, thus an OO.

I agree.

Another one is people claiming they have or know someone who has a double over 15 speed Fuller.

I have had many heated discussions with someone claiming to have a double over Fuller this or that.

When you ask how that could be possible they always fall back on the shift pattern.

Most don't even understand when you try to explain how a 13 speed OO is created thru the use of a single O.D in both the front and rear boxes, thus an OO.

I know somebody with a double over 15 spd, the KW above has a double over 8LL but a 15 spd,8LL is od in the front box and under in the back box to get a double over you have to do a gear flip in the front box, putting a od box on the back of a low gear trans kinda defeats the purpose. I remember Eaton made a double OD 13 spd that was an OD 9 spd with an OD back box but most double over 13's are OD front and under rear with a gear flip in the main box, thats why the shift pattern is jacked up, its hard to find an OD back box to make a double over 13 with a OD 9spd and an OD back box, I know ive tried to find one to go on my RTX14609B cant find an OD back box anywhere.

I know somebody with a double over 15 spd, the KW above has a double over 8LL but a 15 spd,8LL is od in the front box and under in the back box to get a double over you have to do a gear flip in the front box, putting a od box on the back of a low gear trans kinda defeats the purpose. I remember Eaton made a double OD 13 spd that was an OD 9 spd with an OD back box but most double over 13's are OD front and under rear with a gear flip in the main box, thats why the shift pattern is jacked up, its hard to find an OD back box to make a double over 13 with a OD 9spd and an OD back box, I know ive tried to find one to go on my RTX14609B cant find an OD back box

I suggest you contact Eaton Fuller and ask them about a double over 15 or a double over 8LL.

I suggest you contact Eaton Fuller and ask them about a double over 15 or a double over 8LL.

Why? the *ll with the gear flip is in the KW dump above and the 15 speed was in my hands a few months ago and Im still thinking about buying it for the KW above, both an *ll and a 15 have under drive rear boxes and OD front boxes they are basically 9 speeds with UD back boxes to get the deep reduction the 8LL your only supposed to use in L the 15 has different gears and bearings for use of the Deep reduction in all low range gears, both are OD in 9th. Eaton says you cant do it but it used to be a fairly common practice to get more speed out of trucks without having to swap rears, the top gear wont pull for crap but its there for flat ground.

Why? the *ll with the gear flip is in the KW dump above and the 15 speed was in my hands a few months ago and Im still thinking about buying it for the KW above, both an *ll and a 15 have under drive rear boxes and OD front boxes they are basically 9 speeds with UD back boxes to get the deep reduction the 8LL your only supposed to use in L the 15 has different gears and bearings for use of the Deep reduction in all low range gears, both are OD in 9th. Eaton says you cant do it but it used to be a fairly common practice to get more speed out of trucks without having to swap rears, the top gear wont pull for crap but its there for flat ground.

The gear flip is where the first and only overdrive comes from. (I've spent two hours this morning on the phone with the best transmission guys I know, who combined have done thousands of transmissions and they all agree on this)

There is no OD in the back box so how does it become a double over?

Yes,years ago we did flip the 4th & 5th gear to get an OD out of a direct transmission (most commonly 10 spds & very rarely 9's) The addition of a 13 spd back box on a 9 direct prevented you from having to sacrifice your 1st gear

That is why that your shift pattern is reversed in 4th & 5th.

And yes you're right an RTO-13 has the OD in the back box

.Also the possibility that you could flip the gears in the front box for a double over

Once you flipped the gears in an RT(direct) you sacrificed your 1st gear in converting it to an RTO(overdrive) and the reason that you had a trans with LL gears is so you could pull out loaded on a hill and still have decent road speed with the overdrive conversion.

Your friend has a 1693TA Cat in his W-900, great engine in it's day.

I've got one in a 71 extended hood Pete 359 that I've owned for many years along with an RTOO12513 for a transmission.

I bought a 1693TA when they were still available in a new truck (before the 3406 PC) in a (74 K-100 KW) and also had one in a 74 Freightliner COE that was won brand new in a contest from White-Freightliner.

39 years ago that was the most durable engine plus the added bonus of the most torque on the road.

It was also the first engine that I ever got a million miles of service out of without an overhaul.

The Freightliner had a cracked head at 660K due to a cowboy posing as a truckdriver getting it hot on Jellico Mtn

( The only drawback 3.5 miles per gallon but with fuel only costing 35 cents a gallon back when I first got them it was no big deal )

Interesting, I was always told when you do a gear flip your changing it one whole gear so you would get your STD .73 od ratio one gear down and your top gear becomes .64-.62 that's where they get the double od from. I know a couple guys that have done the flip in 15's so they can still have a decent starting gear, rob is the only one I know with an 8LL flipped.i have tried to get an od back box for a while but nobody can find one, plenty of ud back boxes available from 8LL,13,15,18's floating around but not many left from rtoo14613's.

Interesting, I was always told when you do a gear flip your changing it one whole gear so you would get your STD .73 od ratio one gear down and your top gear becomes .64-.62 that's where they get the double od from. I know a couple guys that have done the flip in 15's so they can still have a decent starting gear, rob is the only one I know with an 8LL flipped.i have tried to get an od back box for a while but nobody can find one, plenty of ud back boxes available from 8LL,13,15,18's floating around but not many left from rtoo14613's.

I'm 65 years old and have been in the trucking industry for 44 years and am always learning something new.

I certainly wish that whoever started telling people about a double overdrive 15 speed or any other roadranger with the exception of a 13 or 18 could explain how they did it.

I have yet to find a single mechanic that ever claims to have done it or even understand how it's possible.

I've asked many of the very best thru the years since I first heard that claim

I've even gone so far as to offer to have one guys transmission disassembled at my expense.

He swore that when he bought the truck he was TOLD it was a double over 15 but he couldn't explain how it was accomplished.

Also that I would put in a brand new clutch in addition to reassembling his transmission.

Believe me I wouldn't have been willing to take that risk had I not checked out that claim many years before.

The double over 15 is kinda like the truck that got a speeding ticket in Texas at 135MPH.( or insert your own speed) cause it changes with the telling.

It's always claimed that it had to be taken out of Texas on a railroad flatcar cause they wouldn't allow it to be driven any further

after being caught going that fast.

I've known two different drivers who SWEAR that it was them that it happened to.

I was able to prove using mathematics that their trucks weren't capable of such speed as they claimed (I just never told them)

But flipping a gear that you claim is already an overdrive would still only yield a single overdrive(just a lower numeric ratio) and not a double overdrive. :clock_logo:By the way I've got the back box that you need (I know that the front box needs bearings) I will pull it off and check it when I get the chance.