volvo vnx

Pics. The I shift is supposed to be the best of the semi autos.

With all respect, I'd rather have a Eaton twin-countershaft UltraShift Plus AMT or a ZF twin-countershaft AS Tronic AMT. The single countershaft Volvo I-Shift is inherently weaker.

The Volvo VNX is basically a Mack-brand Titan with Volvo cab and hood. Same Volvo chassis (called "Cornerstone" when it's built with a Mack cab and hood). Same Volvo D16 powertrain.

Whether you like the Volvo look or the Mack-brand look, Volvo will gladly take your money (away to Gothenburg, Sweden).

With all respect, I'd rather have a Eaton twin-countershaft UltraShift Plus AMT or a ZF twin-countershaft As tronic AMT. The single countershaft Volvo I-Shift is inherently weaker.

The Volvo VNX is basically a Mack-brand Titan with Volvo cab and hood. Same Volvo chassis (called "Cornerstone" when it's built with a Mack cab and hood). Same Volvo D16 powertrain.

Whether you like the Volvo look or the Mack-brand look, Volvo will gladly take your money (away to Gothenburg, Sweden).

The I-shift (also called the M-drive) has some rather peculilar quirks. Saw one I-shift where the drive ran for 400 miles or so with rear air suspension air bags over inflated, when we were told by E-service to drain the fluid, and along with the fluid there were bits of alloy "vanes".

Later had another one in a VNL chassis, D-16, 550 hp, used to haul "farm liquid", this one had a mind of it's own when the "eco-roll" was in use. Rig would up shift & down shift as designed (ecoroll will skip gears to optimize torque & power) BUT when coming to a stop, it would let you, then with the foot on the brake, the unit would take off & power thru the intersection...

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

I've driven the Ultrashift plus and the iShift. The iShift was heads and shoulders above the Eaton in terms of smoothness and proper gear selection.

With all respect, I'd rather have a Eaton twin-countershaft UltraShift Plus AMT or a ZF twin-countershaft AS Tronic AMT. The single countershaft Volvo I-Shift is inherently weaker.

I've driven the Ultrashift plus and the iShift. The iShift was heads and shoulders above the Eaton in terms of smoothness and proper gear selection.

I'm very much wondering if you experienced the current Eaton UltraShift Plus AMT. Most people with negative impressions actually drove the earlier UltraShift DM3 (which used a centrifugal type clutch which engaged via engine speed). Along other things, the current UltraShift Plus uses an electric clutch actuator which now allows the clutch to engage at idle, which significantly improves slow speed maneuvering. The original UltraShift DM3 and the current UltraShift Plus are really two different animals. Eaton should have created an altogether new name for the current product.

And now, the UltraShift Plus "Advantage Series" are coming out with a lot of great new features (and a 5-year/750,000-mile warranty for linehaul applications.). Check it out, or go look at the twin-countershaft ZF AS Tronic AMTs.

My take: Looks like Volvo salespeople got jealous of the Titan and demanded their own version. I suspect the VNX will be a disaster- If the 16 liter engine needed a bigger radiator and a jacked up cab to stay cool in a Mack, how does Mack expect the same D16 to stay cool and survive with the same cab and radiator as their 13 liter engine uses?

I'm very much wondering if you experienced the current Eaton UltraShift Plus AMT. Most people woth negative impressions actually drove the earlier UltraShift DM3 (which used a centrifugal type clutch which engaged via engine speed).

That I couldn't tell you. It was in a (then) 4 month-old 2011 Prostar. As far as I could tell it shifted a little better than the older prostars that I drove, but it was pretty clunky when bobtailing or lightly loaded. It had a tendency to run through ALL the gears at take each one up to 15-1600rpm. This was okay when heavily loaded. Bobtailing across the lot at 1500rpm? Not so much.

My 2009 Volvo iShift was light years ahead it. It occasionally revved up a little higher than I would have - particularly in the lower gears, but it wasn't anything to write home about.

I'm very much wondering if you experienced the current Eaton UltraShift Plus AMT. Most people with negative impressions actually drove the earlier UltraShift DM3 (which used a centrifugal type clutch which engaged via engine speed). Along other things, the current UltraShift Plus uses an electric clutch actuator which now allows the clutch to engage at idle, which significantly improves slow speed maneuvering. The original UltraShift DM3 and the current UltraShift Plus are really two different animals. Eaton should have created an altogether new name for the current product.

And now, the UltraShift Plus "Advantage Series" are coming out with a lot of great new features (and a 5-year/750,000-mile warranty for linehaul applications.). Check it out, or go look at the twin-countershaft ZF AS Tronic AMTs.

I've driven one UltraShift which was apparently an early model. It was horrible in any type of slow manuever situation and I couldn't believe they actually marketed a transmission where it was necessary to accelerate when the driver should be moving on idle and covering the brake.

I've driven an Mdrive only 3 times and the one issue I have is with any type of liquid cargo. With 4-300 gallon totes in a van trailer It wasn't able to shift with the surge and would make extra up and down shifts. Must be heck with a smooth bore tanker.

Jim