Celli Trucking Co.-A Chicago Legend

318 roadoiler behind a quadbox? man o man ! thats a combination that would work you half to death in a days time! you'd sure know you put in a days work after that all day!....................................Mark

Ha-Ha! Thats when men were men,Mark!! I always thought they had 13 speeds in 'em.One of their former drivers told me his had a quad in it.Maybe they had some spec'd both ways,I don't know.I do know that the fiberglass hooded B's were on the road longer than the R-700's.By the time I got back in the area ('86),and started hauling sand & gravel,There was at least 2 of the B's running yet!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

How many of the Celli off springs are still involved in Celli truck center. It seems as though the

Celi company was much bigger than I thought. Were they bigger than Palumbo. Thats funny that the B's were on the road longer than the R-700's. I'm guessing the R 600's were on the road until the late 90's

• Like 1

How many of the Celli off springs are still involved in Celli truck center. It seems as though the

Celi company was much bigger than I thought. Were they bigger than Palumbo. Thats funny that the B's were on the road longer than the R-700's. I'm guessing the R 600's were on the road until the late 90's

James, Eugene's son Carlo (named after his grandfather) runs Celli Truck Center with his father.I don't know the size of the Palumbo fleet.I would say that Celli and their spin-off companies,would have out numbered them,back in the day.Not so anymore,though.As storkmack said,there is still a few Celli (now Cement Transport Co.) RB's out there.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Does Celli truck center still sell Macks or do they just work on them.

They sell used trucks,new Mitsubishi/Fuso trucks.They did sell new Mid-Liners, when that line was available.Eugene tried for many years to open a full :mack1: dealership,but territories prevented him from doing so.Mack had a factory branch nearby that they closed in '81.He wanted to replace it with a dealership of his own,but :mack1: said no way,they already had dealers in the area(closest was 25 miles to the north).He does a good Genuine :MackLogo: parts & service business,though!

Another Celli picture I forgot to put in.This is a "re-do" of an old picture that was destroyed or lost.Gene photoshopped himself into this picture with his father Carlo.

Al,all the vintage pictures you've posted sure looks like they kept their trucks nice! gotta be hard especially when you consider what they did................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Al,all the vintage pictures you've posted sure looks like they kept their trucks nice! gotta be hard especially when you consider what they did................................................Mark

Mark,many of these photos were taken after a rebuild or when new.As a rule,they were just tools of the trade and some looked worse than others.Many of their drivers did however,keep them shiny.You could see them either way.During the 1st Arab Oil Embargo ('73-'74),Celli as everyone was stunned by the jump in fuel prices,and sold many of the company trucks to the drivers.He paid them in 2 checks:1-the drivers wage& 2-the trucks net earnings.This was unprecedented at the time,and though skeptics in the area thought it was a crazy way of doing business,it worked.Many of the guys left hauling around the Chicago area today,got their start at Celli.You have to dig pretty deep to find any of these guys that didn't have respect for Eugene "Gene" Celli and the way he treated them.Guys would tell me they would blow an engine or lose a transmission.Celli would send the B-model wrecker out.Get the truck into the shop, fix it fast,and get the guy back out earning again.Yes it was a lease-purchase plan.But one that guys actually succeded in.
  • Like 2

Mark,many of these photos were taken after a rebuild or when new.As a rule,they were just tools of the trade and some looked worse than others.Many of their drivers did however,keep them shiny.You could see them either way.During the 1st Arab Oil Embargo ('73-'74),Celli as everyone was stunned by the jump in fuel prices,and sold many of the company trucks to the drivers.He paid them in 2 checks:1-the drivers wage& 2-the trucks net earnings.This was unprecedented at the time,and though skeptics in the area thought it was a crazy way of doing business,it worked.Many of the guys left hauling around the Chicago area today,got their start at Celli.You have to dig pretty deep to find any of these guys that didn't have respect for Eugene "Gene" Celli and the way he treated them.Guys would tell me they would blow an engine or lose a transmission.Celli would send the B-model wrecker out.Get the truck into the shop, fix it fast,and get the guy back out earning again.Yes it was a lease-purchase plan.But one that guys actually succeded in.

I agree,not many company owners left like that anymore! theres a similar outfit in South Jersey Kenneth Levari & Sons Trucking,many guys got their start in the business when a truck was due to be sold/traded the drivers were given the option to lease/buy the truck they were used to,woked out pretty good,as the drivers "knew" their truck. And the family stood behind the trucks,actually wanted the guys to suceed. Still one of the "class" outfits left, run by the fourth generation of sons,still pays top wages,runs better than average equipment,treats their people very well...........................Mark

I believe the steel haulers that were leased to "Special Commodities" divisions of freight companies back then had a 2 check system. Either way, what Mr. Celli did for his drivers is a far cry from today's LP scams.

I have a good friend in Jersey thats a retired truck saleman,he told me so many horror stories about the big carriers "lease purchase" deals its not even funny! before he retired,he told me they were sometimes selling the same truck at least 3-4 times before finally getting someone able to pay it off !.......................................Mark

I have a good friend in Jersey thats a retired truck saleman,he told me so many horror stories about the big carriers "lease purchase" deals its not even funny! before he retired,he told me they were sometimes selling the same truck at least 3-4 times before finally getting someone able to pay it off !.......................................Mark

I've heard that's quite common. A win for the company whether the lessee succeeds or not.

Jim

I agree,not many company owners left like that anymore! theres a similar outfit in South Jersey Kenneth Levari & Sons Trucking,many guys got their start in the business when a truck was due to be sold/traded the drivers were given the option to lease/buy the truck they were used to,woked out pretty good,as the drivers "knew" their truck. And the family stood behind the trucks,actually wanted the guys to suceed. Still one of the "class" outfits left, run by the fourth generation of sons,still pays top wages,runs better than average equipment,treats their people very well...........................Mark

Mark,sounds like that outfit (Kenneth Levari & Sons),is indeed one of the class acts left.I'm afraid outfits like that are disappearing everyday,though.You can't beat fair and honest people,period! Al

god Celli must have had stock in the aluminum wheel company with all those nice 5 hole Alcoa's they ran all the way around, even the back of dumptrucks

They were all about light empty weights,Matt.I cut up a badly beaten former Celli B that was an LST version.Loaded with aluminum.Most of it had cracks in it,though!

I believe the steel haulers that were leased to "Special Commodities" divisions of freight companies back then had a 2 check system. Either way, what Mr. Celli did for his drivers is a far cry from today's LP scams.

Remember all the "Special Commodities Div." there were? Man, every major freight carrier had them.Yes Jim,I believe Gene wanted everyone around him to make $$$ at the same time he did,you know? That's the way most of the old-timers were.It just makes for a healthy operation.

I'm sitting next to Dick Pein right now, he's my father-in-law.

I was told he passed on years ago.Are we talking about the same guy? Interesting?

Sorry to have "wriiten him out of the script". :blush: I forgot who had told me that,but they were obviously wrong.Thanks for clearing this up.Here's a picture when he wore a younger man's clothes!post-510-0-47295000-1366431717_thumb.jpg I hope he has enjoyed this thread,Bill.Thanks for your input,also.

• Like 2