96' International 9400 / 3406E air filter restriction issue.

Lmackattack

I bumped up the fuel pressure, added ram air inlet scoop, and had someone put in hot injector codes on my 3406E. Now my air restriction gauge measures to 3/4 restriction even with a new filter. The filter is under hood with the air inlet on the driver side cowl. Cowl has ram air scoop. What are some options to let this thing breath better. Any filter options.

For reference I can pull mt eagle on I24 in TN at 55-58 mph with 72,000 lb gross weight. not bad! Lol...

I bumped up the fuel pressure, added ram air inlet scoop, and had someone put in hot injector codes on my 3406E. Now my air restriction gauge measures to 3/4 restriction even with a new filter. The filter is under hood with the air inlet on the driver side cowl. Cowl has ram air scoop. What are some options to let this thing breath better. Any filter options.

For reference I can pull mt eagle on I24 in TN at 55-58 mph with 72,000 lb gross weight. not bad! Lol...

Possible the turbo is now to small and just can't get the air it needs? What kind of power you putting down now?

Trent, those air cleaners on those are just about at their limit even with a stock C15 motor. At Trico they've got some Paystars with that setup. You can install a brand new OEM filter, put a machine on the trailer, & as soon as you get put on the road & get the engine pulling hard the restriction gauge gets sucked right to the max.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Problem is the turbo is pulling in more air than the filter can Handel. I need a bigger filter/housing or some way to let it breath better. I have not had it on a dyno. Stock it's a 550hp 5ek model. I would think it might be near 575hp with the simple mods. But the way it pulls hills now....I find I run down them slower and go up them faster lol....

Trent, those air cleaners on those are just about at their limit even with a stock C15 motor. At Trico they've got some Paystars with that setup. You can install a brand new OEM filter, put a machine on the trailer, & as soon as you get put on the road & get the engine pulling hard the restriction gauge gets sucked right to the max.

Have you found a less restrictive filter? If any moisture is in the air and the weather is cool I'm in the red with restriction. Dry weather it's 3/4 to the red....before the mods it never went past 1/4 mark even with an old filter...

Is there any way of mounting an air cleaner on the outside on the cab?

You got a filter problem. Its probably got 1small filter. If you could put 1 or 2 big ones on the outside of the truck it would do better. When you put the hot codes in 5232 codes it gets more fuel and needs more air. You might have to put a better air cooler on it also. Not to mention a bigger turbo. Reason being why dump more fuel on the pistons and not burn it.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

I'm trying to keep it all stock looking.....it is a company truck and they know im a diesel nut.... I could mount external cleaners but then would have to cut the hood. I was hoping I could just find a larger filter housing and put in a larger filter. Keep it all under hood.

I have not ran without the filter but see that the intake tube is 6" I figure it has to be the filter restriction air. Only other thing it could be is a rubber 90 deg bend that routes air into the turbo inlet. It gets a little smaller thru the bend. My egt are fine. Never go above 1100 they hold right at 1000 after a mile into a hard pull. Egt will creep to 1050 if the revs drop past 1550 and if it lugs down to 1300 I might touch 1100 where I either back out of it or shift. I normaly stay in the pull at 1700 and down shift when rpms fall to 1500.

Which codes did you have put in it. Does the smoke clear up quick or does it linger. Try to find the bigger air cleaner housing for under the hood. It will have to be changed more often.

codes in all 6 holes are 6999 no real smoke just a little puff after a quick shift. little more hase in the mountian thin air..

Trent

codes in all 6 holes are 6999 no real smoke just a little puff after a quick shift. little more hase in the mountian thin air..

Trent

According to Antrim Diesel they set mine up. They told me that the 6999 was the hottest codes to use but the fuel mileage was not as good. I got 5232 in mine Richard said they are 20 HP less and get better GPM (Gallons Per Mile) Try them both and see which is the best. The air restriction might be better with 5232. These codes are right under the 6999.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

According to Antrim Diesel they set mine up. They told me that the 6999 was the hottest codes to use but the fuel mileage was not as good. I got 5232 in mine Richard said they are 20 HP less and get better GPM (Gallons Per Mile) Try them both and see which is the best. The air restriction might be better with 5232. These codes are right under the 6999.

That's the same info I had heard. I had these codes put in 3-4 years ago. And it ran fine with no restriction issues....Then i did the other mods last year and have noticed the issue... I'm at about 5.4mpg all day everyday.

We run hard tho and at this job mpg was never a concern. Hell back when we were sponsored by texaco havoline the rule was we coukd only fill up at a texaco or shell truck station. So the game all 5 of us truckers played on the way to and from the racetrack was who could rack up the most expensive fuel bill. Lol..... Not saying we ran at 2100rpm all day but we would run hard and suck those tanks dry and see how much we could put in me.. .part of the texaco sponsorship was that texaco covered all fuel and oil expense. That went on for almost 10 years. Hell just last week i stopped at a local gas station in fl....I put $1200 in the truck and gen tanks at one filling.. The lady behind me was in awe....lol

• 6 years later...