front axle swap

mac1833

I have run SEVERAL RD's and Granites with single steer box on 18k Mack axles they run fine, I think its a different box than the 12k though, mine looked larger on the RD and Granite than on the CH. The Mack axle would be the best bet for sure the axle spacing is different STAXX is looking into this right now, just going to a different axle for a different reason not to 18k, the springs are different I think they are the same length but as I recall the shackles on the back are different also, Id find a wreck in a junk yard that was the same type of truck and get the parts from it, pretty much any dump, concrete, heavy haul Makc has 18k front, the big question is, what kind of 200o Mack there are several issues with doing this do certain models, I tried to order a CH and was told they would not make a CH with an 8k front, same with a Vision so they will be difficult to find. So what kind of truck and how much weight do you have on the steer loaded?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Our RD turns perfectly fine with 425s, they are better/stronger tires and don't blow where as 385s do alot

I had a hell of a time if I stopped and turned loaded it would bind. Not squeal the pump just bind. Got the factory twin box put on and only complaint now is it is slower but Pete says it is the same pump as a twin system. Only thing I have left to do is the 23k springs. Never ran 385's so don't know what problems they had or have. I'm always heavy on the steer even empty

I had a hell of a time if I stopped and turned loaded it would bind. Not squeal the pump just bind. Got the factory twin box put on and only complaint now is it is slower but Pete says it is the same pump as a twin system. Only thing I have left to do is the 23k springs. Never ran 385's so don't know what problems they had or have. I'm always heavy on the steer even empty

When are you going to bite the bullet and get a Mack?

On a freightliner FLD with twin steer gears they use a 11 gal pump and a single gear can get by good with a 6 gal pump.

glenn akers

Our RD turns perfectly fine with 425s, they are better/stronger tires and don't blow where as 385s do alot

How much weight are you putting on a 385 to blow it? and whats the brand, I have run Michelin, Yokohama,Dunlop, Bridgestone and Good Year 385's and 425's and never had one go bad, the 385's are good for over 19,000 on a steer axle, the 425's are over 21000# (for a pair of each). I think we have run steers well over 20k when you have a tri-axle dump with 74,000-84,000 gross on a 16' bed and you pick up the tag your running on just the steer and drives, I have never blown a steer tire, I have cut one or two on shot rock but never blown em, I have had well over 25,000 on my steer with 385's and 11R24.5's. Guess I was lucky all these years.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

How much weight are you putting on a 385 to blow it? and whats the brand, I have run Michelin, Yokohama,Dunlop, Bridgestone and Good Year 385's and 425's and never had one go bad, the 385's are good for over 19,000 on a steer axle, the 425's are over 21000# (for a pair of each). I think we have run steers well over 20k when you have a tri-axle dump with 74,000-84,000 gross on a 16' bed and you pick up the tag your running on just the steer and drives, I have never blown a steer tire, I have cut one or two on shot rock but never blown em, I have had well over 25,000 on my steer with 385's and 11R24.5's. Guess I was lucky all these years.

In CT most of the roll overs from blown tires are 385's. We only run 425 Michelin on our tri-axle steers. Most of the construction companies in CT have switched over to 425's and don't have any problems. We run 76,500 gross. They last a lot longer and are safer. Maybe CT's roads are a lot rougher?

Matt

I got questioned this morning in the West Memphis coops. asking if the truck is rated at 20k on the steer. Said yeah and truck is certified. Thought he was going to go out and look but never did. Said they had a guy come in last week with 20k on the steer and truck wasn't rated. Think they made him unload or get another truck in there.

Also how fast are they running. I know the 425's are rated at 65mph. I try to keep it below that loaded but have gotten up to 70 or better. not fond of it with the tire speed rating. Also summer time is a killer. Running Yokohamas now up front going back to Michillins next.