B model Steering Wheel Removal

Looking for alittle help here.What is involved in taking the steering wheel off.I removed the horn button.I see the nut under it but I can't get a socket on it,what am I doing wrong here.If it would be easier to remove the steering box instead,I will do that.The only problem I see with me removing the steering wheel is that it is cracked in afew places and I don't want to end up with a bunch of broken pieces.I had to remove the steering box on a 1956 Ford F600 I did for the same reason that was a cracked wheel.Thanks again. Mike Durkin

soak her up, you should be able to get a socket on that nut, loosen it up but not all the way. heard of guys drillin and tappin threads in the metal hub part and using a regular steerling wheel puller or if you have access to a big gear puller with flat jaws, (the kind that locks around) OTC makes them but they are pricey, all the old time mechanics have one. they work good cause toy can get under the bottom around the column and pull the whole thing instead of bendin the wheel. some pop right off by hand, some are a bitch. i usually end up takin the whole box out whole.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I had to drill and tap the wheel on my KW.Took about an extra hour.Well worth it.Soaked the hub & steering shaft with PB Blaster and used my regular steering wheel puller.No extra breaks in the plastic! Used a thin wall socket as well,to get the nut off of it.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Ok here is how I did mine... Remove horn button and nut, soak in penatrating oil. Now Remove doors, hood,fenders,seats, floor boards, gear sticks. Use a back hoe to lift cab off frame. Careful to not bend steering wheel. Now use engine hoist and steering wheel puller to remove wheel....simple

• Like 1