Asking any of you out there for any thoughts on the fuel tanks on my truck. The pics of my truck you will see there is one of my truck with the low bed and in that pic the truck has polished tanks verse the painted one on it now, the truck from the factory was polished tanks. Is there a way to remove the paint and get the tanks back to the polished finish. Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

post-13513-0-17677200-1359329678_thumb.j

post-13513-0-17978300-1359329720_thumb.j

A soda blaster from Eastwood.com will take the paint off without impacting the metal. You can polish it out from there. Special care must be taken when repainting after using a soda blaster. The high pH of the soda gives etching primer (low pH) a hard time and paint failure can result.

Greg

Its just me and my opinion, but I think the painted tanks look awesome with those steps! I think that truck would look good anyway you do it though. Nice truck! I sure hope you werent planning on crossing any RR tracks with that big loader! Holt was bringing us a brand new D9 dozer one time, was 1 mile from the shop heading down a back road, I had already warned them bout the high RR track. The freight train comes through bout 60 mph trying to gain speed for a grade farther down. Yes,,,you guessed it, he hung on track, train was in sight within 45 seconds of hangup, squealed every brake he had, plowed into dozer and trailer and delivered them farther down the track, completely unassembled though. Bigggest mess I ever did see! The driver may still be running to this day. randyp

Well bead blasting with a wide nozzle and low pressure is best for aluminum, then they would need to be wet sanded and machine polished with a buffer and compound then you can keep em up by hand.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Been there done this its easiest off the truck but can be done mounted it just sucks.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

back in the day we used paint stripper the best we ever used was called Tal Strip and had much success with it on aluminum just do a good job of cleaning the tanks

afterward and then you are ready to polish I have probably done a hundred that way thru the years as polished aluminum is one way to really make your truck stand out in a crowd

Thanks for all the helpfull information. As far as leaving them painted my father likes them black painted like the B-61, but I feelit is to much black on the truck,,,they do look beter pinstripped, but where you may stand to get in and out of cab on the top of tanks is all fine scratches right now on drivers side.

Oh and that 988 weighs like 110,000lbs I wouldn't go far with that on 6 axles probably grossing 150-160k

Can't happen down here, not saying I haven't hauled slightly more than I was supposed to( by slightly I'm thinking 40,000 over) but they will stop you if it looks out of place.

The state police run rolling truck teams around here, so there are no scales, but they do know the major truck routes to park and patrol. Also on different note wanted to say I like the picture of the Superliner you have, nice truck.

Thankyou for your thoughts on the tanks, for now they will remain black and pinstripped, need to save the money. The truck in its current life is in retirement and slowly will be restored to a show appearence, only hauling will be to move the B-61 to out of state shows, the truck is workable though if I ever annoy my present employers at the golf course,,,,Yep I grow grass for a living. Here is a pic you may like, this truck is in my area.

post-13513-0-75252100-1359339875_thumb.j

Thankyou for your thoughts on the tanks, for now they will remain black and pinstripped, need to save the money. The truck in its current life is in retirement and slowly will be restored to a show appearence, only hauling will be to move the B-61 to out of state shows, the truck is workable though if I ever annoy my present employers at the golf course,,,,Yep I grow grass for a living. Here is a pic you may like, this truck is in my area.

I saw both those trucks for sale at Global and then the superliner at Arron's, what ever happend to it?

Matt

The silver superliner Arrons, the new owner I do not know, but he said it was sold local to me,,,,he got good money for the truck, it was very clean. My superliner was sold to me by Brian at Josephs in Manchester NH, he had several of Capppello/Brillo trucks, they traded to him. Mine was the last of the Superliners they had to sell. The truck was well cared for and very clean.

There trucks are also not the same color, last ones I saw where red, and he runs the Pete's, I don't know what happened with the R model, but also a nice truck, I know Josephs recently just sold the CH he had of Brillo's and he has one of Cappello's Big Pete's that he was going to keep for himself for know.