12 speed,,, question

the case is stamped TRTXL1070B so I would assume that I have the later single stick version? im wondering if just a cover goes over the hole where the 2nd stick would normaly be?

I think on the early version the 2nd stick just put the trans into low low. With the later single stick version they just put a air shift control for that hole?

Reason I ask is I called up Global truck traders a week ago and bought an air shift top cover and the sent me the rear cover. I likely mispoke so I will keep this rear air top cover they sent as a spare. either way I just need to know what goes over the other hole as all I had ever seen were single stick 12 speeds.

thanks for any help!

the case is stamped TRTXL1070B so I would assume that I have the later single stick version? im wondering if just a cover goes over the hole where the 2nd stick would normaly be?

I think on the early version the 2nd stick just put the trans into low low. With the later single stick version they just put a air shift control for that hole?

I think you are right about the second stick just putting it into low low. I'm not sure about anything else. I just by chance happend to see that cutaway picture of the 2 stick 12 speed as a new picture added to someones gallery here on BMT today and thought it could be what you have.

If you have the side plate with the inversion valves on, that would tell you if it had a air shift lo-lo or a manual shift. Because it is missing, I would bet that it is a two stick 12 speed because you don't have to remove the air shift to pull the trans out of the truck. Not sure if you can just add an air shift without changing the fork, but than you will need to add an inversion valve. Hang on to that top cover because they are NOT available, I had to have mine machined and put a bushing in it.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

If you have the side plate with the inversion valves on, that would tell you if it had a air shift lo-lo or a manual shift. Because it is missing, I would bet that it is a two stick 12 speed because you don't have to remove the air shift to pull the trans out of the truck. Not sure if you can just add an air shift without changing the fork, but than you will need to add an inversion valve. Hang on to that top cover because they are NOT available, I had to have mine machined and put a bushing in it.
The guy I bought this trans from had this one rebuilt locally in NJ and was sitting in his shop as his spare. His fleet of R models had 12 speeds and his currect truck was a late 90s cl with a 350 and 12 speed. His CL was air shift with a dash switch for lo lo... He said he had pulled it out of a truck when he had some issue, had it rebuilt, then sold off most of his fleet. He just held onto this incase his cl trans went down. His cl had the plate with the air valves mounted to them but hat and the stick were not part of the sale....I will have to see if I can locate the valves and air cyl to complete the set up. I already have the selector valve on the stick...

The B model designation means air shifted deep reduction...a two way air cylinder goes over the hole...I assume the shifter will bolt up also, making it a T1070...Good luck finding an air line diagram for the deep reduction shift though! If you want I can take a picture of my front cylinder...

The B model designation means air shifted deep reduction...a two way air cylinder goes over the hole...I assume the shifter will bolt up also, making it a T1070...Good luck finding an air line diagram for the deep reduction shift though! If you want I can take a picture of my front cylinder...

If i remember right the T1070 had a 3" tail shaft and the T1070B had a 6" tail shaft

Matt

Yep its a manual shift trtxl1070 if its OD, 107 if not. I thought there was more to the change to air shift lo-lo than just bolting the cylinder on. I looked for that inversion valve for a friends truck and they were unobtainium a couple years ago so we rebuilt his stocker. I always liked the manual shift version looks like a real old school truck with two shifters in the floor and most people won't ask to drive it when they see the second shifter and the air shift knob. Those are great transmissions I loved the one in my 84, there is a gear for everything.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yep its a manual shift trtxl1070 if its OD, 107 if not. I thought there was more to the change to air shift lo-lo than just bolting the cylinder on. I looked for that inversion valve for a friends truck and they were unobtainium a couple years ago so we rebuilt his stocker. I always liked the manual shift version looks like a real old school truck with two shifters in the floor and most people won't ask to drive it when they see the second shifter and the air shift knob. Those are great transmissions I loved the one in my 84, there is a gear for everything.

We had a guy that wanted a job, saw the two stick six speed in the truck and ran out of the yard crying

• Like 2

Matt

Mack has the inversion valve...about $80!