The quickest way to unload a hopper bottom

jakebrake86

I just found this pic from a couple of years ago on an old phone. This poor guy was crossing the two lane bridge over the Mississippi River at Helena, AR and hit a slight bump a little too fast. The results were as follows:

attachicon.gif45804_431245691771_6506910_n.jpg

Ouch, bet the poor bugger failed physics!

Rick

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

Yep, about the only thing rougher than I40 between Little Rock and Memphis is Highway 70 between Little Rock and Memphis...

Speaking of which, if any of you guys run down this way very often, you really may want to consider Hwy 70, especially westbound. They're building a new bridge over the White River and it took me about 2 hours to go five miles or so... On the bright side, the road's alot smoother at that speed!

• Like 1

Jake

For a few years we took great pride in running the oldest grain hoppers in our area. Had some Dorseys, Fruehaufs, and Hobbs. Ran the piss out of them and by last year had sold most of them. Crazy thing was that we were more proud of those old trailers than our newer ones because of all the work we had done to them. Shit, one of them I bought out of a junk yard and we had to rebuild the whole front end and re painted it. -Brad

I never cared for those old Fruehauf and Hobbs hoppers,the cable operated doors were a major PITA and they were prone to cracking at the front.Our first hopper was a '74 Hobbs and by the time Grandpa traded it off in '80 it had been braced and welded several times.The later style weren't a bad looking trailer,though.Never had a Dorsey hopper,there's an older one still around here a farmer has,they weren't the best looking trailer.We did have a Dorsey flat floor,think it was a '71,it was a good old trailer.We've also used Hawkeye's,Merritt's,Wilson and Timpte,Wilson is in my opinion both the best built and best looking,with Timpte running 2nd.

Our Fruehauf and Hobbs were from the early 80's. The front ends were diffidently the weak spot. They had a good empty weight. The Dorseys on the other hand were heavier than all get out. I forgot about the old Stoughtons we also had. They were a well built lite trailer. - Brad

Ouch that hurts the wallet !! $ laying on the ground . :( Jake is that on the MS Side of 49 close to the Citgo or on the Ar side close to the Helena River terminal ?

:mack1:Yes sir, it's on the AR side, as soon as you drop off the bridge but still on the approach ramp. I grit my teeth everytime I hit that bump after seeing that!

• Like 1

Jake