The Price of Old R Models

While I was going through some of the paper work on my old trucks,I came upon the original bill of sale for the 20 R models we brought new back in 1979.These trucks were equip not with much chrome but they were built for what Macks were ment to be used for and that was work.The total price for all 20 was $898,080 or $44,904.00 each.The same thing today would most likely run you well over $100,000.I can't find the bill of sale for the 15 DM600 triaxle dumps we also brought or the 10 U models we took off there hands.The U models were built for hiway running not that good for construction work.They kept the mech.busy.

Umodelnut,I would think that the U models were in $35,000-40,000 range.Like I said before they were a light duty truck.They had been ordered by Ryder Trucking and they ended up not taking them,so the dealer offered them to my father because he wanted tractor right away, the r's had to be built and my dad didn't want to wait,so we took them.All we had to do was to order 10 more dump trailers to replace the ones we put under the u-models.The u's would out run the r's top speed but they would shit the bed when ever we would load them over 80,000 which was quite often.We kept a spare front and rear rear's for them in stock all the time.

I found an old invoice for my father-in-law's second tractor that he and his father bought at the tail end of '77.The "new" to them tractor was a '76 that was a theft recovery.It was painted black over its Mack Red (factory),had a curved straight stack installed, and found in a barn some 300 miles away in Minnesota! Was a good truck .300,6 speed typical Chicago gravel spec.They had traded a well-worn '67 R609LST(tired 711 & quadbox) in on it.The price was a flat $30,000.00! With $4,000.00 as a trade in allowance for the '67(my father-in-law claims he and his dad got the better end of that deal!),for a grand total of $26,000.00 to be financed on a near-new truck! But the cab was so rotted (after 9 years in Chicago salt),it damn near fell off! He traded that one in on a brand new 1985 R688ST 350,9 speed!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA