I Need The Cure (For My Detroit)

JumperAndSon

You could just go staight to "boat anchor" and save time. As for the oil, it likely already leaked out. Another option is a lawn ornament. poke.gif

On a serious note, if the injector racks are free, then the linkage is stuck. Try spraying Blaster on all the moving parts and let them soak for a few days.

I diconnected the rack from the linkage to the governer and it's definately the rack thats stuck. But what's confusing me is that it wiggles a little bit but it's still stuck. But the next time I get a chance, I'll try lubing it up and tapping on it a little more and see if that works.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Ben... hold off on the C4..!!!!

do you have the later Injector Control Tubes with the individual spring-loaded rack levers???

the older rigid tube/lever jammed all injectors if one stuck, newer type elimanted this issue, though you still have to deal with the injector that is stuck..

generally, if the newer individual spring tubes are installed the air intake flap can be deleted...

if you have the DD V71 bible.. it is chapter 2.9 of the service manual

BC Mack

I would like to get a service manual for it, that's on my christmas wish list. And they are the old style where if one is stuck, they're all held up.

Ben

Ben

check the photo

if this looks like yours... it is the old style

to help determine which injector is stuck, remove the four bolts holding the two end brackets, lift out the complete tube.

examine the control rack of each injector, it should move in-out with some leverage applied.

the stuck one will be obvious... 'careful' tapping can release the jammed part but they are a device of fine machining tolerances so don't get brutal... unless you really "want" to play with the C4..!!

don't disturb the screws on the lever where it is mounted on the tube.

injector removal is straightforward, needs some dismantling of the rocker arms, fuel lines and a heel bar... get a guy who has done it before if you are unsure.

service manuals are on ebay from time to time, there are 15 chapters in a complete book, some are sold in two parts, 1-3 & 4-15

easy engine to repair as every owner knows, 'cos you're always fixing them..!!!

BC Mack

post-10384-0-52411900-1355972766_thumb.j

Ben, you and I know Green Leakers deserve more respect than is shown on this forum. If you subtracted out all the work the Screamin' Jimmies accomplished in the oilfield, there wouldn't be much oilfield left. I was really biased against the old GM's until I spent 2 years on a drilling rig that had a pair of Buzzin' Dozens, and a 453. Over 2 decades since their manufacturing demise, there are still a lot of them deafening the hands, confounding the wise, etc.

Ben

check the photo

if this looks like yours... it is the old style

to help determine which injector is stuck, remove the four bolts holding the two end brackets, lift out the complete tube.

examine the control rack of each injector, it should move in-out with some leverage applied.

the stuck one will be obvious... 'careful' tapping can release the jammed part but they are a device of fine machining tolerances so don't get brutal... unless you really "want" to play with the C4..!!

don't disturb the screws on the lever where it is mounted on the tube.

injector removal is straightforward, needs some dismantling of the rocker arms, fuel lines and a heel bar... get a guy who has done it before if you are unsure.

service manuals are on ebay from time to time, there are 15 chapters in a complete book, some are sold in two parts, 1-3 & 4-15

easy engine to repair as every owner knows, 'cos you're always fixing them..!!!

BC Mack

Yea, mine is definately the old style. I will try doing as you said to figure out whice one is stuck and then maybe I'll be able to get it loose. Thanks for the help :twothumbsup:

Ben

• Like 1