White smoke, puffs strong then gone EGR?

lucerne tractor

Back at Mt Airy headed north. Last trip out I lost an upper radiator hose between Elpaso and SanAntoio, she got hot and shut down when I pulled over. I think that might have been the start of this problem. Over the past few weeks I have been adding anti freeze, about 2 quarts every two days. I found the blue hose to the front of the egr leaking and tightened the clamp. That seemed to stop or near stop the leak. But, I'm still adding antifreeze. Today while fueling up, two 150's at 3.75, 4.29 in Maine, the truck all of a sudden started smoking white smoke out both pipes. Then it stops just as quick. It hitched in the parking lot at low speed like it was picking up water, I stopped, took off the cap with alot of pressure and filled it again and am on my way to NH then home. The truck will go in the shop as usual for service, this time I was going to change the metal pipes and all rubber hoses and clamps, is an egr due for replacement too? my vin is 004466 is this the correct one Garrett Heat Exchanger Part # 28GB519 please,chime in. I need to get it fixed and back on the road Monday after turkey day. Thanks Mark south of Mt. Airy NC on 77

If you think the EGR cooler is leaking, slide back the egr cooler outlet hose. If its wet inside then it could be your problem. If not, problem could be one or both of the heads could have a crack. The heads on these engines do not like excessive heat, that includes the air compressor head as well.

Is the engine pushing coolant out the overflow tank or are you loosing coolant with no obvious signs of leakage? If its pushing coolant, I would lean towards a cracked cyl.head(s) or air compressor head. If the egr cooler outlet is dry, most likely cyl. head(s).

If you think the EGR cooler is leaking, slide back the egr cooler outlet hose. If its wet inside then it could be your problem. If not, problem could be one or both of the heads could have a crack. The heads on these engines do not like excessive heat, that includes the air compressor head as well.

Is the engine pushing coolant out the overflow tank or are you loosing coolant with no obvious signs of leakage? If its pushing coolant, I would lean towards a cracked cyl.head(s) or air compressor head. If the egr cooler outlet is dry, most likely cyl. head(s).

I'll check the egr when I get home. I don't see any leaks when it's running, I did see one drip in the egr area when I started it this morning. but in the am when it has cooled there is a puddle under the truck. I hope it's not the heads, they are both brand new. It runs fine except the low speed hitch as mentioned and the ocasional white smoke. I haven't seen it today or felt a hitch. I'm sure there will be a puddle in the am.

Well, got up this am, started the truck and the fuel guage read 1/3 tank, filled both 150's to the top the night before 701.00. Went to the pumps and put in 571.00 looks like I got tapped during the night. That took a chunk out of the proffit on this trip.

Man that sucks. I will not under any circumstances top my tanks off at night. Or will top them and move on down to the next truck stop. Only time I get fuel at night is just enough to idle through the night. I don't even park the truck at my house full of fuel.

Man that sucks. I will not under any circumstances top my tanks off at night. Or will top them and move on down to the next truck stop. Only time I get fuel at night is just enough to idle through the night. I don't even park the truck at my house full of fuel.

I think that was the first time I filled at night, I usually put in a days worth in the am, since fuel is weight why haul it all day if you don't use it, This was cheap and one fill would get me from SC to NH drop and then home in Maine.From there on up the fuel gets more expensive, the CT. TA I'm in tonight is 4.45

Man did I put on a smoke show in Birlin NH. Got up in the morning and checked the anti freeze, topped it off, warmed up the truck and headed for the drop, when she hit the 8 pounds booste mark, the egr let her go, there was a white ball of smoke 400' in diameter, so thick if a car ran through it it would do body damage, it just hung there forever. Got to the site and got unloaded in a mere 5 hours, made it across rt 2 and home in Maine by dark. She's in the shop,changing the egr,all the hoses,clamps and pipes if needed,and a full service. The egr is cracked. Anyone got one, I'm listening Mack number 28GB519 or 21301444 call me 207- 460-8877

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The exit side of the egr was black mud, Mack wanted $2009.00 +tax for one. Got one brand new in Mack box, next day air on Ebay, 1150. my problem started as another poster stated, when I lost the upper radiator hose. The temp guage didn't peg but it was hot. This egr thing has been a lingering thing since then. I guess the cold weather really made it show up. The leaks I was seing on the ground in the am was from rubber water lines cooling down at night and letting pressure and antifreze out. Every hose and clamp on the truck is now new. Had to put in a new Perometer sensor since it would work just long enough, then stop and set off a code and buzzer. That damn dash computer, but I suppose it alerts you early, just drives me nuts. Then again, if we didn't have ecm's egr's vgt's there wouldn't be need for the crap. On the road again Sunday night. Going where the weather suits my clothes.