1956 mack b rims and tires sizes

markpwhit

was wondering if anybody could help me out. new to the game and i am trying to confirm the correct tire and rim size for a 1956 b62. currently has tires on unit but they are all different sizes. tandems in back. eventually would like to purchase newer steel rims as i believe the current ones are split rims (rear)

thanks

mark

The split rims are going to be 20 or 22 inch...hard to find tires for...the newer one piece wheels are 22.5 and 24.5...

Hard to know what was on it originally as you could order either size. You cannot change the rim/tire with out changing the wheel, unless they are budd type solid steel or aluminum.

most B62's had 1100 22's or 10.00 22's on them originally. never seen any with 10.00 20's on them, im sure they made them tho but in our upstate ny area in the 50's most of the old timers liked big rubber.you can change over to 1100 24.5 or 12.00 24.5 and run radials cause 10.00 22's are about impossible to find just remember to use the right spacer and new rims. most guys will put wider tires on and use same spacer and the tires are too close when loaded. have also seen guys run 4'' spacers on a Mack and nost use the shorter wheel wedges and they dont tighten right. most Macks i have seen run a 3 5/8 spacers. C and E trucking was an oddball tho, they ran all 9.00 20's on their B 61's and B63's or B sickley ones as most of the drivers called them cause they were beat in the ground. the reason for the 9.00's, no one would steal them....

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

most B62's had 1100 22's or 10.00 22's on them originally. never seen any with 10.00 20's on them, im sure they made them tho but in our upstate ny area in the 50's most of the old timers liked big rubber.you can change over to 1100 24.5 or 12.00 24.5 and run radials cause 10.00 22's are about impossible to find just remember to use the right spacer and new rims. most guys will put wider tires on and use same spacer and the tires are too close when loaded. have also seen guys run 4'' spacers on a Mack and nost use the shorter wheel wedges and they dont tighten right. most Macks i have seen run a 3 5/8 spacers. C and E trucking was an oddball tho, they ran all 9.00 20's on their B 61's and B63's or B sickley ones as most of the drivers called them cause they were beat in the ground. the reason for the 9.00's, no one would steal them....

Maddog;

Another quick question...........is it fair to assume that i can change from a split rim to a solid wheel.........and if so how difficult is it/is are there any additional modifications etc required?

thanks

i assume you mean 2 or 3 piece rims. split rims are from the old days and are actually where the whole rim splits in half right down the middle and is really dangerous of not chained and locked right. the two and three piece are still available but 22'' tires are about extinct. you can switch right over to 11 24.5's and put them right on your 22'' hubs or 11 22.5's if you have 20'' hubs. should bolt right up and use the same spacer and wedges. the spacer should be the normal 3 5/8 wide spacer unless you run wider 12.00 tires then you would need a 4'' spacer and shorter wedges. either way, make sure the wedges ''bottom out'' on the spoke and there isnt a gap. usually a telltale sign you have the wrong spacer or wedges is the wedges wont bottom out on the spoke or the tires are too close together.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i assume you mean 2 or 3 piece rims. split rims are from the old days and are actually where the whole rim splits in half right down the middle and is really dangerous of not chained and locked right. the two and three piece are still available but 22'' tires are about extinct. you can switch right over to 11 24.5's and put them right on your 22'' hubs or 11 22.5's if you have 20'' hubs. should bolt right up and use the same spacer and wedges. the spacer should be the normal 3 5/8 wide spacer unless you run wider 12.00 tires then you would need a 4'' spacer and shorter wedges. either way, make sure the wedges ''bottom out'' on the spoke and there isnt a gap. usually a telltale sign you have the wrong spacer or wedges is the wedges wont bottom out on the spoke or the tires are too close together.

Mdog- Isn't a bigger issue if the wedge or spacer is wrong, you can make contact on the spoke, but you won't have any clamping force on the rim?

• 3 weeks later...

The split rims are going to be 20 or 22 inch...hard to find tires for...the newer one piece wheels are 22.5 and 24.5...

Hard to know what was on it originally as you could order either size. You cannot change the rim/tire with out changing the wheel, unless they are budd type solid steel or aluminum.

Maddog.................is it fair to assume can purchase solid one piece rims and they should bolt on per your comments above?

thanks