Steering Wheel Removal

b61fred

Hi,

I need some help, I removed the horn button on the b61 to remove the steering wheel and found that there's no way to pull the steering wheel off of the shaft, also the shaft is hollow and would require an adapter to set the puller on the shaft. How have all of you done it. I plan to remove it tonight so I can remove the cab

Thanks

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Morgan,

Both of my B model steering wheels have been pretty easy to get off.

I removed the nut, obviously, and the flat washer/retainer - then "helped" the wheel up a little with a softwood block and a small hammer. They came off with little or no resistance. No puller necessary.

Have Fun,

Paul VS

Hi,

I need some help, I removed the horn button on the b61 to remove the steering wheel and found that there's no way to pull the steering wheel off of the shaft, also the shaft is hollow and would require an adapter to set the puller on the shaft. How have all of you done it. I plan to remove it tonight so I can remove the cab

Thanks

Fred

Measure down 4 inches from the bottom of the steering wheel towards the dash and mark a line completly around steering column. Obtain reciprocating saw from toolbox and cut on line previously marked. Steering wheel comes right off effortlessly.

The solution is quite simple when you think about it.

Rob

I actually loosen the retainer nut till the top of the nut is flush with the ending of the column threads. I then place a large washer inside the steering wheel center, butt my knees against the wheel rim at the bottom while pulling at the top of the rim, and smack the washer with a hammer. The shock to the column usually breaks the wheel loose, and the retainer nut keeps you from eating the steering wheel.

Good luck!!

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

first slam your hand in the screen door of your house on the way out to the truck. this puts you inthe correct mood!

They can be a Real PITA to get louse. My B had the wheel so rusted on that even an engine hoist could not get it louse, i ended up damaging it and just ended up cutting through it and got a diffrent one. As rob said lousen the nut but leave it on the end of the shaft so that it dont go flying around as it comes louse. put some PB blaster on the splines, put the washer or a bolt down in the shaft to avoid mushrooming the shaft end. try hitting it with a BFH as someone pulls up on it. I have also some times used a bottle jack to aid in braking it louse. Put a 4x4 on the floor, jack on top of the 4x4 and then a 2x4 cut to the correct length to help put bressuer on it as you smack the washer/bolt on the shaft end. some are easy some will make you pull your hair out!!!

Trent

Hi all..

I removed the steering wheel and got the cab off last night. I tried Rob's "plan B" method first, I will say that this wheel was on there!! Anyone that has met me in person knows that I am doing my shoping at the big and tall store, I pulled and pushed on that wheel untill I bent the wheel into a nice cone shape, (P.S. looking for new steering wheel now!) I finally made a puller that went around the spokes and used a socket on the tube not to tear up the threads. after several tries the wheel came loose.

After that we chained up the old cab and removed it from the frame, one of the chains sliped and it ended up coming off with the floorboards up and the roof down on the shop floor. (I don't know what happened, It spun around very quickly) no one got hurt and the cab couldn't get any worse. Thanks for all the help

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

one of the chains sliped and it ended up coming off with the floorboards up and the roof down on the shop floor

:wacko::wacko:

DOH!! I hope that you either have another cab or this one is salvagable. Sounds like you might have to let the air outta the seat for you to fit now? or stop wearing hats? LOL!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

:wacko::wacko:

DOH!! I hope that you either have another cab or this one is salvagable. Sounds like you might have to let the air outta the seat for you to fit now? or stop wearing hats? LOL!

No cabs or people were harmed while performing this stunt..... This cab was so rusty that the windshield was tring to come on in the cab with me.

What started all of this was, I sold Paul some square tanks, the ones I was going to sell were worse than I thought so I decided to remove the ones on my driver b61. I was planing to install round alum. tanks any way so this would be the kick in the Butt I needed to get that job done. When I removed the tanks I found out that was what was holding up the cab. I thought I would set the good cab I have on the frame and test out my wiring and hang all my sheet metal to test fit everything.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!