Questions about antique mack in louisiana

Hi this is my first post I searched for an answer but couldn't find anything. Ok here's the questions I'm fairly young 22 I've restored a few classic tractors and now I want to restore a semi. I have my cdl and DOT medical card. How do I register the semi so I don't get messed with by the law? It won't be a just show truck ill want to put miles on her. Please help

• Like 1

I actually cheated I guess to get mine I was a trucker in the United States Army and once you logged a certain number of miles accident free all you had to do was test and you could skip the road test. The test it self is fairly easy if you take your class a you will need to study general knowledge, pre trip inspection, air brake, and combination. Then what ever endorsements you want. The dmv will have the books you need to study then just rent a truck for the road test or go to a driving school where you get all endorsements and use the schools trucks and trailers but that's fairly expensive.

• Like 1

How do those work do you just have to find a plate that is the same year as the vehicle to put on it or is it the same thing as antique tags? What I'm finding on the internet isn't being very reliable its all different information

well you can put the antique plates on it if all you are going to do is drive to shows around town etc. but if you want to use it commercially pulling a trailer or what not you will have to do commercial plates to keep the law off you though go with antique plates and dont haul commercially with it. And I am only 21 and I have one truck registered and insured in my name with antique plates

• Like 1

When you say "I want to put miles on it" do you mean revenue-generating miles, as in you will haul freight for profit, or you will just be going to shows and parades for pleasure? Generally the laws in each state are similar, there are some varying nuances. If you wish to haul freight for profit, you are now within the legal definition of "commerce" and you must register it and insure it as a true "tractor."

If all you wish to do is go to shows/parades for pleasure, then you can register it and insure it as an antique. Do not get caught by either Smokey the Bear or your insurance company hauling revenue freight with equipment tagged and insured as an antique.

Also, some insurance companies have specific regulations, for example I am with JC Taylor (Upper Darby, Pa $125 per year for very good coverage) and I cannot exceed 2500 miles in one year, which is no problem because if I do 500 in a year it was a busy year. Check with insurance carriers for specifics.

Here in Pennsylvania, one does not need a CDL to operate an antique commercial vehicle that is NOT operating within commerce, however they must have the appropriate-class non-CDL license. Again, there could be some nuances in Louisiana that differ from Pa- I suggest that you check with a DMV office in La or a state website.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

From what I understand in Massachusetts, anything over 26001 pounds requires a CDL to operate. I think I will take the body off my second B81 for pleasure driving and put a 5th wheel on it. Should be well under 26001 then. I could also put farm plates on in New York state where my farm is, but won't do me any good where I live as the travel radius is only 150 miles I believe. Paul

RONCETTI

From what I understand in Massachusetts, anything over 26001 pounds requires a CDL to operate. I think I will take the body off my second B81 for pleasure driving and put a 5th wheel on it. Should be well under 26001 then. I could also put farm plates on in New York state where my farm is, but won't do me any good where I live as the travel radius is only 150 miles I believe. Paul

Paul you need to check the specifics of the law- if the vehicle's GVWR is and/or it is registered for 26,001 lbs or more you might need to have the CDL, even if weighs less than 26,001.

• Like 1

Hi, Yes I am going to check F.W.D., Thanks. My trucks weigh in the 32000 vicinity, and if I take a body off, it should come in under that im sure. Shouldn't that fall under the 26001 rule? Paul

Again, in some states it does not matter what the physical weight is even after you remove the body......if the GVWR is registered as being over 26,001 lbs you may need to have a CDL.

• Like 1

Hi, Yes I am going to check F.W.D., Thanks. My trucks weigh in the 32000 vicinity, and if I take a body off, it should come in under that im sure. Shouldn't that fall under the 26001 rule? Paul

ya but even with the body taken off the gvw of the truck will be the same which i bet for that truck is about 60-70K

• Like 1

Paul, my 1958 FWD Firetruck's GVWR is 28,000. She only weighs 18,500. Even if I put 500 gallons of water in the tank plus 1000lbs of hose and equipment I still have a few thousand until I hit 26,001. In Pennsylvania, it's not a problem as long as she is titled, registered, tagged and insured as a privately owned antique (that is not in commerce.) In some other states however, if the GVWR is over 26,001 you might have to have a CDL.

• Like 1

Paul

Give these guys a call they are help full and can answer all your questions here is a link- http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv440h.pdf

518 402 4838

Also if you can come up with 2 plates the correct year same as your truck, you can use them to tag your truck.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Unfortunately I dont think New York State can help Paul as he is in Massachusetts......Paul I am checking some sources for you, may take a few days- if you promise NOT to drive slow in the left-hand lane and to use your turn signals, unlike all the other drivers from Massachusetts around here.... LOL

Paul

My bad try this one 857-368-8000 they were helpful here is a link http://www.mass.gov/...forms/20132.pdf same thing applies for MASS tags if you can find a matching set for the model year you can use them. I am 99% sure from previous conversations Mass does not require CDL on historical vehicles only if used for commercial purpose.

I have dealt with both DMV sand had good results tracking down a title from a 1963 Mack

If you need to get your CDL use your own truck get some one who has one take you out to get your miles. I also bid on that Green Dumper but it looked like it had allot of rust

Rob

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Had this sent to me 5 minutes ago in response to a query on the SPAAMFAA's facebook page:

Randy, go read this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/88358-ma-5-ton-cdl-ma-rmv.html. Apparently, "The web is a wonderful thing and in short order I was able to get a copy of CMR 540 Part 2.0,

2.05 spells out Registration requirements and 2.06 Operators Licensing requirements.

At first read it looks like 5 Ton = CDL. However, under Special CDL Exemptions:

“5. Recreational Vehicle Operators. Any vehicle operated solely as a personal or family conveyance for recreational purposes may be operated with a Class D License. To be exempt from CDL requirements, the vehicle must be used exclusively to transport family members or personal friends and/or their effects.”

". Later on, "

Per Trooper Burdett at Commercial Vehicle Enforcement State Police this applies:

5. Recreational Vehicle Operators. Any vehicle operated solely as a personal or family conveyance for recreational purposes may be operated with a Class D License. To be exempt from CDL requirements, the vehicle must be used exclusively to transport family members or personal friends and/or their effects.

• Like 1

Hi Thomas, The rust for the most part is on one fender and a l.ot of the lower part of the body all the way down on both sides as it is a heated asphalt body. I do own a machine shop so that didn't bother me. We will make 2 new fenders and have all new plate welded in the lower half of the body. I am also going to make a new floor for the cab. We may even make a new front bumper as it is pushed in on the drivers side from plowing snow. Going to put a new floor in the dump body, maybe the sides too. BTW, I couldn't get the truck through E Bay in GA, could not get any info from owner. So second bidding around was bought right up by NH dealer. All happened in a matter of few hours. Make a long story short, I ended up paying about twice as much to get it. But swore that if I ever saw that setup again I would buy it because I didn't buy two twins in Newark, NJ when I was a kid back in late 1967, and forever regretted it. Paul

RONCETTI