707 oil filter again

Loadstar

Hi, I posted a question in the engine section about the correct oil filter for a Ls85 (707b)....Got some good advice on where to look for a replacement filter...Which is appreciated.....Napa 1503....picked one up the other day and when i removed the old filter i realized that i must have a different filter housing than originally thought .....i Probably could get away without using one....like i was told...but it certainly wouldnt hurt to have one in there......When i changed the oil i just let the old one drain as much as possible and put it back in there......Heres some pictures to see what you guys think? The old filter measured 9-1/2" X 5-7/8".........Thankspost-12279-0-99417500-1348075762_thumb.jpost-12279-0-84711300-1348075813_thumb.j

post-12279-0-42549400-1348076125_thumb.j

Get all the measurements of the can assembly and maybe even the old filter and go to an OLD SCHOOL NAPA (or other...) Parts Counter. NOT a chain store where the kids behind the counter arent even through puberty yet and drive souped-up 4 cylinders....OLD SCHOOL PARTS COUNTER. Plop down the old filter (in a bag or bucket of course) and the measurements (hell maybe even the can assembly) and say "I need a filter for this." The older the guy(s) behind the counter are, the better.

Then if/when you are successful, do what I did and order about a half dozen of them which should last you years if you change the filter every 2 years. (I change my oil 1x per year.)

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Louie,

Check the build sheet from the museum and find out what filter you have. Mack used different filters based on the customer's specs.

I know someone who has six sock style filters, but even the sock styles differ from one build to the next, so without the Mack PN it is somewhat futile to keep looking.

Try this site as well: http://www.filtermart.com/ I have never used this site, so I can't vouch for them.

Carl

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Hi, Carl.....the build sheet I have for the engine reads " oil filter cartridge".......under that it says "236GB" in small print.....then a space....and in bigger print..."28B" it is very hard to make out so some of the letters may be wrong.....There are also two boxes to the left of this box that cannot be read......F.W.D,I will also ask the guys at Napa when I bring the filter back...I did question them when I bought the first one and they kinda just looked at me funny when I said "sock filter".....but maybe the measurements will help. Also I was talking to a friend of mine and he said growing up his dad use to make his own filters....he mentioned very specific materials....long-johns....panty hose...e.t.c.....anyone ever try this??? Thanks for all the reply's

Try e-mailing the Museum to ask them for a clarification. They are extremely helpful.

Don't try jury rigging anything. You might introduce a foreign substance into the engine you don't want there. Remember, filters were optional on many engines of that era. Modern oils and limited use should make the filter a non-issue.

If it really bugs you run it for a thousand miles and send in an oil sample in for analysis.

Are you going to make it to the Mack Trucktoberfest in Allentown on October 26 and 27?

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

If it really bugs you run it for a thousand miles and send in an oil sample in for analysis.

Are you going to make it to the Mack Trucktoberfest in Allentown on October 26 and 27?

As cheap and as easy as it is to do an oil sample these days, you are insane if you dont do it. Giles and Ransome Caterpillar, Bensalem Pa. if I remember correctly, you call them with your credit card handy- $16.95 gets you the sample kit mailed to you (bottle, overpack bottle, long length of sample hose, paperwork and a PREPAID ups mailing envelope and the price INCLUDES the analysis) you get the sample- get it hot, then drop the tube down the dipstick hole, get down on the floor, pull a vacuum on the tube and gravity fill the bottle. Fill out the paperwork, send it all in and 4-6 days later you have the analysis in your hands.

Carl, you coming up for the Mack show????

Hi Guys.....whats this show all about ? Who's bringing their trucks......would be nice to check them out.... Thanks

Mack Trucks is sponsoring a new thing called "Trucktoberfest" to be held Fri Oct 26 and Sat Oct 27 at the Customer Support Center and Mack Trucks Museum facility (formerly corporate R & D) in Allentown Pa. You must be a member of ATCA, ATHS, or SPAAMFAA or a chapter of one of those organizations to enter a truck in the show. Anyone can come to look at trucks of course. The facility is located off Lehigh Street (Exit 57 of Interstate 78) back behind Queen City Airport.

Thanks.....it would be nice to meet some of the guys from this site .....and check out there trucks! Maybe get some ideas on what to do to the truck i have. But its about a six hour drive...but I would like to go.....are there any events in the New England area that you guys attend?. Thanks again.

I'll be there with several trucks. I have the AC and F715 signed up so far, but will probably add a couple more. My parents will be there with their superliner.

Back to the oil filter issue, my mechanic said he has some. If that is the case I will get you one.

Mike

I'm not sure if I'm coming up on Thursday or Friday. Mike: Check the PN on the filter. I went through this already; bought six filters from a knowledgable person who used that filter in his ENF510 that did not fit my ENF510. Mack use different filters on the same engine.

• 1 month later...

New guy on this forum, so I'll probably need to play catch up. Notwithstanding, have suffered the same grief over finding the right oil filter for my B95F and her 707C ENF engine. I have one Fleetgard LF539 left that I got from Cal Little years ago, and just bought some NAPA 1503s based on some intense cross-referencing via the internet. Did the oil change this morning and the good news is that the NAPA 1503 works like a champ.

My question is this: on the right side of the engine, there is another filter can that I originally thought was a second oil filter. It appears to contain transmission or hydraulic fluid. About the same size as the oil filter or maybe a little bit longer. The fluid looked good and I couldn't get the filter out, so I left well enough alone for now. The filter seems to be shorter than an oil filter, but same OD diameter and larger ID. Any suggestions for a replacement filter, and then an easy way to remove the old filter (the bale is missing)?

Bob G