Need Advice On This Engine Transmission Combo

ThaddeusW

Well I dont have the room for a full sized Mack but I did spot this eBay auction and it looks like a good price. If I cant restor a whole truck I would love to try and restor a Mack engine and transmission.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=280139741730

Now I don't know how long its been sitting in the grass but I am waiting for an answer from the seller. What would be a guesstimate on the weight of the two? I want to know if this might be a good project to work on as it isn't too far from me and I could also double up the drive and visit a friend in Chicago. Maybe even someone could help deliver it to me on the transportation board. And If I don't buy it hopefully someone here will. That triplex alone I bet is worth more then 300 bucks.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Well I dont have the room for a full sized Mack but I did spot this eBay auction and it looks like a good price. If I cant restor a whole truck I would love to try and restor a Mack engine and transmission.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=280139741730

Now I don't know how long its been sitting in the grass but I am waiting for an answer from the seller. What would be a guesstimate on the weight of the two? I want to know if this might be a good project to work on as it isn't too far from me and I could also double up the drive and visit a friend in Chicago. Maybe even someone could help deliver it to me on the transportation board. And If I don't buy it hopefully someone here will. That triplex alone I bet is worth more then 300 bucks.

I was originally looking at that item also but when I look at my "engine stock", I really don't need it. I never received a return message from the seller on anything I had asked including how long it had been removed from the truck. The ad did not say anything about the condition, nor experience with the truck.

The weight is about 2500 lbs hooked together with all the ancillary equipment as shown. The Mack engines are fairly lightweight compared to others.

What would you do with something like this when completed? It could be an interesting project but remarketing with a loss in time and money is a strong possibility.

Good luck to you in the perseverance of a project.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hmmm 2500 pounds will fit in our chevy cargo van. My only problem would be if it makes it through the doors :wacko: . I could bring wood and build a skid or modify a skid the guy has and split the two and load the engine sideways. I have plenty of tools and wood lying around. I don't have a forklift or loader at my shop but ill just use plain old ingenuity to unload it. Or someone could haul it for me.

I just got a reply from the girl and she said the engine was sitting for about 3 weeks as the truck it was in was scrapped because it was badly rusted :angry: . She lowered the price to 250 bucks and I placed a bid. You cant go wrong for that price.

-Thad

That appears to be a classic.

ENDT673 @205 HP.

It has to be a VERY early one (mid 50's) because there weren't many turbo motors made without an oil cooler and without a full flow oil filter.

That water cooled turbo is also a rarity, I ran across a motor with one of those in a junkyard back in the 70's. Didn't need a motor at the time or realize then what I had found.

BTW, that was at that big truck junkyard in Elmsford NY. (don't know if it's there anymore).

While it is a rare engine, it also looks like it's been sitting outside unprotected for years and that appears to be the air compressor intake line thats pointing upward and has probably been swallowing rainwater for some time.

Chances are the engine is stuck, but for $250.00 what the hell, I'm sure you could use something from it, or from the trans.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That appears to be a classic.

ENDT673 @205 HP.

It has to be a VERY early one (mid 50's) because there weren't many turbo motors made without an oil cooler and without a full flow oil filter.

That water cooled turbo is also a rarity, I ran across a motor with one of those in a junkyard back in the 70's. Didn't need a motor at the time or realize then what I had found.

BTW, that was at that big truck junkyard in Elmsford NY. (don't know if it's there anymore).

While it is a rare engine, it also looks like it's been sitting outside unprotected for years and that appears to be the air compressor intake line thats pointing upward and has probably been swallowing rainwater for some time.

Chances are the engine is stuck, but for $250.00 what the hell, I'm sure you could use something from it, or from the trans.

You are right that is a 50s mack engine and that is a 500 luberfiner bypass oil filter and you could not put a full flow on that engine and i remeber the switzer water cooled turbo and i dont remeber if they came with a oil cooler.

many people put turbos on them and did not i guess put a oil cooler on them but when i think about it it did not have a full flow oil filter then you would not have any oil line to care the oil to the oil cooler because the 500 luber finer filter only used #6 oil lines . glenn

glenn akers

Ok I won the auction. Now i need to get it home. I am going with a cargo van to pick it up. Now the cargo van is limited in size but has the capacity to haul the two. The thing is if I need to seperate the transmission from the engine how hard is it? Do I just unbolt the bell housing and the two come appart correct? I am going to take some 2x4 and 4x4 lumber and a saw and drill to make custom skids so it can easily be loaded and unloaded. About a 10 hour drive but getting though the city will be a nightmare. Thankfully my friend lives an hour and a half from the pickup so i will drive there first and then the next day pickup the engine and we will both drive to NY so he can visit his parents.

-Thad

I love road trips to pick up great deals. :rolleyes: Make sure that you check the tire pressures in your cargo van before loading the engine and transmission.

Hope that the engine has not seen any water. It should split at the bellhousing with all the bolts removed. You may have to rock the transmission some to get it out of the clutch splines and pilot bushing. It needs to come straight out.

You might take a rachet cable hoist and chain that you could anchor to the van floor or a 2x4 spanning in front of the front seats to use to pull/winch the engine and/or transmission up your skids into the van floor. Or you may be able to just jack it up and crib under it slowly to the van floor height. Some 3/4 inch plywood would help get it across the bumper into the floor.

You might get lucky and find someone that has a forklift or tractor with a 3 point hitch and lift pole to get it loaded.

Seems like she had a hood on ebay earlier. Probably from the same truck.

Best of luck with your move.

David