e 7 runs rough when you start it even when warm

oilburner

Hey everyone this is my frist post and i was wordering if my 98 e7 454 has a problem or not. If you start it up frist thing in the morning it runs rough and smokes white for about 30 or 40 secounds and has no throtle respones, but it will run like this for just a bit and then runs fine, untill you cut it off and go back to start it again, when it is warm it only does this for about 20 secounds or so a little less than when it is cold, no is this normaly or a developing problem that will leave me on the side of the road, no other than that it runs fine it had a leak in the primer pump and i thougth it was letting the fuel drine back but replaced it and the truck still does the same thing, this is the frist e 7 i have had so what do you all think?

Most likely the econovance oil control solinoid is worn and slow to advance on start up injection pump rack controls geting worn also not usually a issue wiring going into pump and connections are the biggest issues to deal with. So if its just a start up issue right now and no malfunction lights then good to go welcome to BMT sounds like you have a nice truck how about some pics.

• Like 1

Most likely the econovance oil control solinoid is worn and slow to advance on start up injection pump rack controls geting worn also not usually a issue wiring going into pump and connections are the biggest issues to deal with. So if its just a start up issue right now and no malfunction lights then good to go welcome to BMT sounds like you have a nice truck how about some pics.

Thanks alot, So i guess it is allright for now but will probely be a problem this winter when the temp. drops don't thank it will crank up to good the way it is. and thanks again the more i drive it the more i like it, broke her in good today pulled well tubeing in some rough place droped the trailer and went and got another load. The only thing is it seems like your are driving a small block chevy, she does good job just got to keep her at peak rpms when you are loaded to get anything out of it but i will say this the thing will pull hard around 1400 or so not like the detroit i am used to that once you do start loseing power it hard to get it to level back out pulling. And i did put some pic. in the garage section.

Ive got the same sort of problem with a 427hp E7. The only difference is that the smoke only lasts a few seconds. Similar cause you think? Check engine light does not come on at any stage. Regards, Skip

I would say we have a very related problem, it only does it bad when you frist start it the frist time of the day, the smoke will last about 15 20 secs. and then it smooths right out and like you said not malfuction light, but even if you cut it off about a hour even if it is still warm it will do it for a few sec. so maybe my problem is the same as yours just a little more advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

Its normal for engines with the econovance system. Should take 5-10 seconds for it to clear, if longer it may be due to wear in the econovance, oil psi issue or timing solenoid is "slow". These systems are 15+ yerars old so wear could be the reason why. If you don't have any faults and it runs ok, I wouldn't worry.

Its normal for engines with the econovance system. Should take 5-10 seconds for it to clear, if longer it may be due to wear in the econovance, oil psi issue or timing solenoid is "slow". These systems are 15+ yerars old so wear could be the reason why. If you don't have any faults and it runs ok, I wouldn't worry.

This truck has almost 600000 miles on it and today i had to restart it twiced and it was about 65 outside. I would like to get this issue fixed before winter hits. What would be a good place to start. Is there away to check the timing solenoid, like advanceing it manually and starting it, i don't know i just don't want to spend alot of money for parts and they don't fix it, we have done this before, so any way to check the system and if i have it hooked up on a computer will it show the problem, i do not have a malfution light on.

This truck has almost 600000 miles on it and today i had to restart it twiced and it was about 65 outside. I would like to get this issue fixed before winter hits. What would be a good place to start. Is there away to check the timing solenoid, like advanceing it manually and starting it, i don't know i just don't want to spend alot of money for parts and they don't fix it, we have done this before, so any way to check the system and if i have it hooked up on a computer will it show the problem, i do not have a malfution light on.

The best way to see whats going on is with a diagnostic tool hooked up, be it a laptop or Pro-Link. Without this you're just taking a guess. Some things you could check are the wiring to the timing actuator solenoid, if the solenoid itself is loose on the actuator body (should be no movement), condition of the oil line to the econo-vance-make sure it is free from obstruction. Check the adjustment of the TEM sensor(located on injection pump at the rear, normally where the throttle shaft would be-screw in sensor until it bottoms, tighten jam nut. These are basic checks, not much you can really do without a diagnostic tool. The best bet is a dealer but you might get lucky and find an independent shop that has a Pro-Link with a V-Mac 2 cartridge. Good luck.

• Like 1

Well today i checked all the things i could, the oil line and the tem sensor, everything checked ok, i unpluged the econo-vance and the truck ran just fine for about 10 secounds and then it started runing rough and smokeing just like when you frist start it, plug it back up and it instaly smooths right out. what do you all thank when unplugeing the econo-vance it runs just like it does when you frist start it could it just be getting bad, or something eles?

• 1 month later...

im kinda having this same issue,,starts with a few puff of smoke then smoothens right out in a few seconds...my trucks pulls really strong but now im only getting 24lbs of boost(96 E-7 mack dumptruck 454hp)...the trucks just dont sound right under heavy loads,,like a cylinder is weak..would smoke sometimes during normal driving at around 1200rpm range ,,if you go full throttle the smoke would go away..i took the sensor and the econovance off the injector pump and inspected both,,i messed with the harness for the injector pump and the truck stopped the smoking while driving..im wondering if the lil shaft that rest on the econovance solenoid isnt worn or sometime inside where that shaft goes is worn

im kinda having this same issue,,starts with a few puff of smoke then smoothens right out in a few seconds...my trucks pulls really strong but now im only getting 24lbs of boost(96 E-7 mack dumptruck 454hp)...the trucks just dont sound right under heavy loads,,like a cylinder is weak..would smoke sometimes during normal driving at around 1200rpm range ,,if you go full throttle the smoke would go away..i took the sensor and the econovance off the injector pump and inspected both,,i messed with the harness for the injector pump and the truck stopped the smoking while driving..im wondering if the lil shaft that rest on the econovance solenoid isnt worn or sometime inside where that shaft goes is worn

My truck does 30 or better of boost, you could have a small leak in the air to air, or a small fuel leak somewere, but it could be the econvance which i thank is what is wrong with mine but i never notice any smoke driving it but you could have some wear issues like you said but it would still have the boost i thank even if the timming was addvanced.

Same thing with a 1998 E7-400 here and another guy in the forum had the exact same problem. So far nobody has figured it out for a true "fix' I replaced the econovance with no help. If your truck starts and doesnt cut out or lose power when warmed up your econovance isnt due for a replacement yet.

I am about a year on the heavy smoke at startup and rough running until it 'clears up'

Same thing with a 1998 E7-400 here and another guy in the forum had the exact same problem. So far nobody has figured it out for a true "fix' I replaced the econovance with no help. If your truck starts and doesnt cut out or lose power when warmed up your econovance isnt due for a replacement yet.

I am about a year on the heavy smoke at startup and rough running until it 'clears up'

how much did the econovance cost you, i have replaced the injector pump and injectors, for other reasons and it did not help the problem, the only other thing i could thank of would be bad fuel lines or a fuel leak some were leting the fuel drine back

I think its was a little under $300. My econovance actually went out but didnt fix the smoking on startup. THe driver of the truck said the jakes went out and i replaced both jake solenoids with no help..then i noticed that someone before I owned the truck had been hitting the econovance with a hammer for some reason..there was alot of tool marks on mine due to beating it. . i hit mine with a hammer and the jakes started working again..so thats what caused me to replace it...

Right after I bought it new i found one in a junkyard for $100 but passed it up.

Just letin you all know the mack is doing good, other than the start up in the mornings, i was grossing about 90,000 with her the other day and she pulled fine, never got below 6th on some narrly hills, just wish i could get the cold starting problem fixed thanking of trying a new econovance and trying to see if it helps, don't know what else it could be.. and thanks for all the replys this site is full of info and people that have been around a block or two in a mack, thanks!

We have a 97' that has done this since new. Had it looked at a few times when it was new, nobody seemed to worried about it then. Had 2 other 97's that did it too. -Brad

Thanks storkmack, this makes me feel a little better, it was 20 degres here yesterday morning and it crank up and died once then it ran rough at a high idle and lots of smoke for a half a minute or so then smooth out like always. I have a freind of mine that hauls coal with a 97 that has a e-7 350 in it and he said he has never had a problem like this not sure if his has the same set up as mine it may be the old style e 7 but i don't thank it should do this but it run fine when it smooths out.

Most of this problem is oil psi related , it takes about 10 seconds for oil psi to stabalize and the econvance and timing is adjusted by the oil psi so the timing is off a little untill oil pressure comes up . Back when these trucks were new I remember pulling alot of these injection pumps off and having a anti surge kit installed in govner housing and then reinstalling under warrenty , they run a little better at start up but the kit was mostly for a 700-900 rpm surge.