Stuff Done Today

Door looks good,Vinny.You'll be done before you know it.

I put new brakes,cam bushings,slack adjusters and tires on the back drive axle of my Superliner yesterday.Going to do the front drive next week,too damn hot to do both.Found one cracked aluminum rim,luckily I had another,but it needs polished.I cleaned it up best I could and put it on for now.

I put new brakes,cam bushings,slack adjusters and tires on the back drive axle of my Superliner yesterday.Going to do the front drive next week,too damn hot to do both.Found one cracked aluminum rim,luckily I had another,but it needs polished.I cleaned it up best I could and put it on for now.

Funny how one project turns into another...and then that project spawns yet another....and another....and another....

For me, it was something as simple as getting new tires put on the F250. Currently, it has 33x12.50x16.5 tires on it. Can't walk into a tire shop & buy tires to fit 16.5" rims...special order only...and I'm limited to the BFG T/A KO....and can only get 'em when there is enough demand that they make another batch. In other words, you can't get 'em when you need 'em. So, I figured I'd buy new rims....16x8....and put some LT285/75R16 tires on 'em. Sounds easy enough, since the OEM rims were 16".

Tire shop called on Friday to say they had everything in...so I swung by on Saturday to get the new tires & rims put on. SHOULD have been in & out in about 20 minutes, since they were already mounted & balanced....just needing to be put on.

Front left was first up. Old tire off, new tire on. Won't spin. Dust cover is rubbing on the rim...gonna have to trim that. Also noticed that the brakes weren't fully releasing....the pads were dragging excessively on the rotors, which isn't really a good thing. I figure it has something to do with the fact that it gets driven in all sorts of weather and then parked for months at a time...pistons probably corroded & not free to move as they should. Not much I can do about either problem at the tire shop, so I load the new tires & rims in the back of the truck and head home.

....made a few stops along the way, though. Dropped by NAPA and picked up a couple calipers (forgot to buy brake fluid, though, so I'll have to run back to town to do that later). Got home and started working...

...broke the upper bolt holding the caliper on when trying to remove the right side caliper. Ended up using a 12 lb. sledge and a 36" pry bar to get the stupid thing off. Luckily, I was able to find a grade 8 bolt in the garage that was the correct size & thread pitch, so the new caliper went on easy enough.

Grabbed the cut-off tool & started trimming the dust cover when another trucker from across the highway dropped by for a chat.....'til it got dark, so I had to get the work light out to finish trimming.

Put the new tire & rim on the studs & gave it a spin.....damn stick-on wheel weights (I hate those things) were making contact with the caliper....so I'll have to take them BACK to the tire shop to be rebalanced with the clip-on weights (which I would have preferred they use from the start, but they didn't ask) since there isn't enough clearance inside the rim for the stick-ons to be used.

Still gotta do the left side today....then drop the old calipers off to get the core charge back (which was $6/caliper MORE than the remanufactured calipers cost...guess they REALLY want 'em back...). Almost scared to do that, though....I just KNOW it ain't gonna go smoothly.

....so much for a "relaxing" weekend.

And to top it all off, been too overcast to make a new batch of sweet tea, so the 1/2 gallon I have left in the fridge is going to have to last me through the week. Hopefully there'll be a hot, sunny day next weekend.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thank you Mike, theres still ALOT to be done. It is too hot to do anything. I need to come to your place with the U685 when shes done. Thats cool you got work done on the Superliner.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg