Tachometer Question

My tach bounces back and forth. Can anyone tell me why? I have a 98 CH613.

Thanks,

Rob

If your tachometer is cable operated, the drive cable is binding and letting go inside the jacket. Take the cable loose from the back of the tachometer, and use speedometer lubricant to take care of that problem.

If the tachometer is electronic driven, and driven by the alternator windings, chances are that a diode is blown in the alternator. Have you noticed a degredation in battery charging performance at all?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If your tachometer is cable operated, the drive cable is binding and letting go inside the jacket. Take the cable loose from the back of the tachometer, and use speedometer lubricant to take care of that problem.

If the tachometer is electronic driven, and driven by the alternator windings, chances are that a diode is blown in the alternator. Have you noticed a degredation in battery charging performance at all?

Rob

No, everything is charging up nice and strong.

being a 98 you should have a proximity sensor that counts the teeth on your ring gear to give a reading to your tachometer. most likely cause of your problem will be either poor connection to that sensor or the sensor is loose in the flywheel housing that it threads into. crawl under the truck find the approximate area in your bell housing where your ring gear is. then follow the circumference around until you find it. the sensor will be either about 7/8" or 3/4" in diameter, fully threaded with a jam nut , with either 2 or 4 wires comming out of it. check the connections, then grab the sensor and see if it is loose in the flywheel housing. if so loosen the jam nut and tighten it into the ring gear then back it of just enough so it does not touch the ring gear. then tighten the jam nut. GOOD Luck!!

I will try and find a picture of one.... :SMOKIE-LFT::SMOKIE-LFT:

• 6 months later...