Did Matlack run U models?

Just wondered if anyone knows the answer to the above? I've seen plenty of pictures of great looking R models in Matlack green but not a single U. I think they'd have looked pretty smart in Matlack colours.

Alastair

Yes, back in the 60's they ran U's with V-8 NA's haulin cement out of the LHV area in PA. MTS also had the V-8 U's, as well as Cement Express

BULLHUSK

Matlack had a satellite terminal near me in South Jersey (Swedesboro) they had a U-model that i assume they used for spotting trailers,and moving them into the tank wash,i don't remember seeing any on the road though...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

BULLHUSK, Mark,

Thanks for the info. I'm searching for a colour scheme for a model. I also found a picture on Hanks Truck Pictures of a Tucker Freight Lines U.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/donq/tucker_freight_lines_mack_u_model.jpg

Wondered if anyone knows anything about this outfit. Seems like they went out of business a long time ago.

Alastair

I believe it was in the spring of 1983. I switched from washing trucks for Parrish Leasing to being the billing clerk for sister company Brothers Express. A Friday was my last day on the PLI side and on Monday I started at BXI billing. BXI was a cartage agency at the time and one of our carriers was Tucker. As luck would have it this was the same weekend that Tucker closed so come Monday my expected work load was down by about 1/4th..... As I said I believe it was spring, I was about 16 at the time. Tucker was based out of South Bend, IN and there recently was a article about them in Wheels of Time, when I say recently within the past year or so....

A good friend of mine used to work in the shop at Matlack. I sent him an email asking for information (and pics if possible).

UPDATE: My friend's reply:

Matlack DID NOT have U-models. There was a leased operator (Meyers) that

had the U-models, painted the same color so it would be hard to tell them

from the company trucks. They were mostly 711 engines, one with a Cat

engine. Matlack did have a lot of R & F models with the V8 Mack engine. I

rebuilt a lot of them when I was in the Machine shop. I also rebuilt the

fuel pumps for the V8 engine. They didn't last over 300,000 miles. Hope

this helps.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"