Quad or Triplex to solve final drive issue

Red Horse

What kind of rear arrangement do you have? You should be able to replace the carrier with one from an R-model. I was able to upgrade my stock RAS axle in my B-42 with a CRD-117 in 4.62 ratio. Many more efficient ratios are available in that carrier. I was told that a single reduction axle would not accept a double reduction carrier, but there were no issues at all. It's been that set up for years and thousands of miles. Ahead of that I have a TRTL-720 and a 237. I can cruise all day at 65 MPH, turning around 16-1700. Top end is around 80 MPH @ 2150 RPM.

a single reduction rear will accept a double reduction hogs head. it will bolt right up, but the inside of the housing will not have enough ''meat'' for the bearing caps to rest against. the bearing caps on both side are meant to rest against the inside of the flange on the housing and a single reduction housing was not built up enough for the bearing caps to rest against . it may work for a hobby truck but if you were to pull a heavy load with it and it was allowed to flex inside you would have trouble.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I recall when I added the CRD-117 that there were four "pads" on the bearing caps that married up into the rear of the housing that seemed pretty significant. I've hauled some pretty good loads with the truck and never seen any signs of stress or flex on the RAS housing. It is a hobby truck and I don't max it out or use it like a work truck. I've seen a few of those torque arm rears and they are VERY heavily built. I was thinking that you might find something to fit that rear that was more modern and provide a better ratio for the highway, while retaining the original set-up.