Rims Frozen To Hub (daytons This Time)

Got a Big DM in my shop with a hook lift on it, poor brakes. Upon further inspection i determined time to pull the hubs. has the 65,000 rear axle setup. biggest damn axles i've ever seen!! butterfly hood, 285 2 stick etc.

here's the problem can't get the rims off the hub got the wedges off rims are rusted to the hub. SPrayed her down with penetro 90 (schaeffer's wd-40) air hammered the hell out of it. NOW WHAT!!!???, tempted to screw the wedges on loose and drive it around the yard. I'll post pictures later this evening of what she looks like. any help would be appreciated!!

Got a Big DM in my shop with a hook lift on it, poor brakes. Upon further inspection i determined time to pull the hubs. has the 65,000 rear axle setup. biggest damn axles i've ever seen!! butterfly hood, 285 2 stick etc.

here's the problem can't get the rims off the hub got the wedges off rims are rusted to the hub. SPrayed her down with penetro 90 (schaeffer's wd-40) air hammered the hell out of it. NOW WHAT!!!???, tempted to screw the wedges on loose and drive it around the yard. I'll post pictures later this evening of what she looks like. any help would be appreciated!!

Thought I would chime in here since this truck just happens to be mine. :D If you have a porta-power unit with a wedge that might work. Did you try letting a little air out of the tires. That might let a little tension off the bond between the rim & hub. Otherwise leaving the wedges loose and driving around should do the trick :wacko: Call me tonight if you see this post. Lee

The loose wedges and a drive around the yard will probably loosen them. Then the next problem willl be the spacer. A good air hammer with a flat hammer on the spoke may help. Then when the spacer is off I like to go over every spoke with my needle scaler. That really cleans the spokes nice. The hopefully if the inner wheel is broken free it will slide right off. Good luck.

Chuck

• 4 months later...

Make sure the wheel hasn't slipped up on the stops, there are 2 lil knobs on the rim beside the valve stems. If it has slipped it can be a pain in the you know what to free it sometimes. If it hasn't slipped then all you can really do is jar the hub the best you can with the brakes released to free it. Daytons can be a pain sometimes but i eventually always seem to get them loose. Driving might help free them up though i have never had to go to that extent to get them looses before.

• 4 weeks later...

I always use a big hammer and pound a circle around the tire. I have gotten mad and let the jack down and chunked it in gear before though..lol. Usually beating on the tread of the tire with a hammer done the trick if it was on the stops. I started welding old lug nuts on each side of the valve stem for stops.....eliminated that problem. Sorry its late but maybe theres a little help for someone in there..lol. BTW All of this was on 65k rears and 24 inch rubber.

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I'd never thought of letting air out to un-bind 'em.

I'll have to remember that trick when I go into the brakes on my E. :thumb:

Of course,looking at 'em through my "rose-colored-glasses",they'll come apart easily...

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>