Clutch Free Play

I noticed when I got in the truck a few weeks ago that the free play was almost to the floor in the truck, so me and my brother adjusted the clutch and brought the free play back to 1 inch from the top. Got in yesterday and noticed there was a huge amount of free play again so we readjusted and brought it back to the 1 inch. We took it for about a 5 mile ride and notice we gained and inch of free play again. The truck is shifting fine and no smell of burning clutch. Also checked the clutch cable and all looks well there too. Any ideas why this is happening, it just started doing this. I have a 1987 RW613 Superliner with a T2090 trans.

As Glenn stated. That crankshaft end clearance if much greater is multiplied several fold by the clutch linkage pivot points. If your crankshaft is "walking" in the block, either the thrust faces are worn on the mains, or thrust faces on the crankshaft are worn. By design, when the throttle is applied the crankshaft tries to push towards the rear of the engine exhibiting rubbing action on the thrust faces.

A crank kit may be in order.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Are you re locking the bull ring properly? If it has the PUSH to unlock adjuster, the adjuster might be the problem itself. If left unlocked the bull ring will screw itself out every time you push the clutch. Sometimes to the point that if stopped in gear, the truck will run out from under you.

Are you re locking the bull ring properly? If it has the PUSH to unlock adjuster, the adjuster might be the problem itself. If left unlocked the bull ring will screw itself out every time you push the clutch. Sometimes to the point that if stopped in gear, the truck will run out from under you.

Thanks guys! it was actually the adjuster itself, we pulled it out and found that it was only locking one way. Got a new one from the local Mack dealer and all is well again!