Exhaust coating/paint

I bought Mack exhaust pipes for my MH. They are aluminized steel. Anyone know what I can use to preserve the pipes to they don't rust on the outside? I thought about VHT silver paint. Would this work on the muffler too? Any suggestions? Can exhaust parts be powder coated?

P.S. I was trying to get stainless pipes made but the fabricator "dropped the ball". So I went with original Mack parts.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I had my exaust manifold "Jet-hot" coated about 5 years ago to see if i could lower my pyrometer/exaust temp. a little on a long pull,its really held up well,and works as advertised,still looks great too! only thing is you have to ship the parts to them to be coated. I will see if i can find the records/reciepts...but i'm pretty sure its www.jet-hot.com Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I bought Mack exhaust pipes for my MH. They are aluminized steel. Anyone know what I can use to preserve the pipes to they don't rust on the outside? I thought about VHT silver paint. Would this work on the muffler too? Any suggestions? Can exhaust parts be powder coated?

P.S. I was trying to get stainless pipes made but the fabricator "dropped the ball". So I went with original Mack parts.

Hey Farmer:

On any exhaust applications you want to use a Ceramic Coating as this will protect the metal and insulate the pipes. This would cover most, exhaust pipes, manifolds, etc. For any turbo or DPF applications you want to use a High Temp Ceramic Coating as these applications are too hot for traditional bright Ceramic Coatings and it will kill the bright appearance. If it’s just the stacks themselves you may be able to get away with bright if your EGT’s are not too hot. As you can see below, this is what factory Ceramic Coated pipes look like in a turbo / DPF application. Keep in mind there are significant gains to be had by doing you manifold, turbo and down pipe.

Thanks

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00188.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

Contacted a local company to get the exhaust parts ceramic coated. The cost will be about $300 for two (2) pipes and muffler. Jet-Hot wanted about the same money but required shipping parts to NC. Not that Jet-Hot is any worse, I prefer to support local businesses. The coating has a lifetime warranty same as Jet-Hot. Turn around time is about one (1) week. I will keep you posted on the results.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

The exhaust system is completed. :banana:

The only thing I am not happy with is the round hole muffler shield. When I called the parts store, the counter guy said they had a slotted shield in stock. When I got to the store, they only handle the round hole shield.

post-3289-0-47325800-1342922761_thumb.jp

post-3289-0-70115000-1342922784_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ken